3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leveling kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009 | 11:08 PM
hemipower45
|
Default leveling kit questions

I'am fixing to put a leveling kit on my 06 hemi. I believe it is a 2.5 ready lift. Was just wondering if any of yall had a problem with leveling kits, or what was your opinon on them. I was also wondering what size tires to run, i dont want to deal with scrubing or having to cut out.

thanks for the advice

Old 09-30-2009 | 12:46 AM
sharkhunter10
Captain

The lift will be fine I just did mine and the only hard part was getting the ball joints apart! and mine is a 2wd so if your 4wd then idk how hard they are to do.

Old 09-30-2009 | 06:06 AM
josemer09
Rookie

Originally Posted by sharkhunter10
The lift will be fine I just did mine and the only hard part was getting the ball joints apart! and mine is a 2wd so if your 4wd then idk how hard they are to do.
what kind of level did you buy? and how much? because i was looking to put one on my truck as well.

Old 09-30-2009 | 07:06 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Did that on mine a while back. No issues. Still have the same OEM shocks. Make sure you get an alignment.

Old 09-30-2009 | 07:39 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

With your coil over fronts, you're talking basic coil spacers here. Installation is not hard, as long as you have a spring compressor. I'd run 33" tires with a level, yeah I know you can stuff 35's under there, but for best performance and look with a level, I think 33's are just right.

Old 09-30-2009 | 07:50 AM
EJM05
Record Breaker

I have the top gun customs 2.5" level on my truck with 33" toyo open country mt

Old 09-30-2009 | 10:23 AM
sharkhunter10
Captain

Originally Posted by josemer09
what kind of level did you buy? and how much? because i was looking to put one on my truck as well.
I bought the suspention connection 1 and 1/2 inch leveling kit. All it is a coil spacer that sits on the top of the coil. It wasnt hard to do at all really just had some stubbron ball joints. I bent a 3ft pry bay to look like a jungle gym!!! Note* a coil compressor rental from O'Reillys was a life saver!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009 | 10:48 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Question

Interested in getting a leveling kit for my truck, was wondering with K&N's mentioning of their CAI not fitting trucks with lifts . . . would this affect my recently installed K&N CAI systems alignment ? (Sorry for the newb question, only 20 here with my first truck and loving it with how much you can modify it ^_^)

Old 09-30-2009 | 01:53 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Why would a CAI not fit with a lift??? That makes no sense at all??? Weird...

I have a Fat Bob's 2" level with Fabtech shocks. Of course, mine is 2WD. It does look good though. I love it.

Old 09-30-2009 | 02:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Mine is an 04 2wd and I just finished relifting mine. I added more to the front but now gotta raise the rear about an inch to level the thing. There should be no reason why a CAI wouldnt fit. Definately get A coil compressor and be careful with them. I had my own but when using it last weekend ended up ripping the threads out of it because so much tension when compressing the spring. So I had to go rent one to finish my lift. Also rent a pitman arm puller to break loose the balljoints.

A word of wisdom, remove the tire, tie rod, swaybar linkand put A jack under the LCA. Then get a piece of wire or zip tie and strap it around the top of the spindle and UCA. That way when you pop loose the lower BJ first the jack keeps Everything in place. Then when you pop the upper BJ the wire or zip tie keeps it from flying out at you.

Ive had mine all apart A few times now. And as others have said, get an alignment afterwords.

Be sure to check the rubber bushings, ball joints and wheel bearings for any issues and replace them while you have it all apart.

Quick Reply: leveling kit questions