3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help with electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 AM
chevez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with electrical issue

truck suddenly wouldnt start, found out the fuel pump/sender wasnt getting ground, temporarily spliced in the ground truck now runs. this same ground apparently is tied in with the trailer tow ground and the trailer tow harness isnt working either, again because of a ground issue.

does anyone know where the problem may be, has anyone ever heard of these issues combined together???

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but im not looking for a temporary solution, or to just jimmy rig it, i want to find out where the root of the problem is.

thanks
-C

Old 10-03-2009, 11:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your bed/body ground strap. Sometimes when they get old, they tend to oxidize and break.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
chevez

the ground for both terminates near the battery at g103 and g104 according to the schematics. with this ground being good, does anyone else have any other ideas??
thanks
-C

Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The ground strap between the back of the cab and front of the bed?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
chevez

the trailer wiring harness and the fuel pump ground near the battery on the inner fender, along with a number of other items which are working fine. tihs is the puzzling factor. therefore the ground strap should be fine. I'll check it anyway, if there is any other ideas out there please help?!
thanks
-C

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
chevez

^^^bump

Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM
jdfisher

I got your pm just now. anyways did you figure this out? I would start by making sure your ground are all tight and not corroded ( sea water and snow salt can make it worse) also check elec. connectors to pcm, fusebox etc.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
chevez

thanks a lot for your time.....i have yet to see the vehichle again, but i know for sure it is ground. i have to check the ground termination point at g103 and g104 to be sure its not that, but im wondering if there is any other possible problem. the pump started to work after the ground was temporarily fixed, so im sure the connection at the pcm is fine. the ground from what ive been able to determine just goes to the body at the formentioned termination points, unless you can confirm otherwise. does the ground run through anything?, or does it just terminate from pump to body?
thanks again
-C

Quick Reply: need help with electrical issue