3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flickering and Cancellers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering and Cancellers

Got the flickering problem with my truck. So was thinkin that i prolly should get the cancellers for the proper way of doin things. My question is: Is one canceller any different from another, being if i was to purchase one on ebay vs another hid store? Hope you can all help me out so i can get these goin. By the way if it makes any different i got the 9007 Bi-xenon kit 6000k.

Here is a link to the ones i seen on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...4506.m20.l1116

Or if you guys know of any other good ones that dont cost tons of money.

Last edited by 02dodgeram5.9; 10-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain
Default hey

Hey, It doesn't matter where you buy them from there all the same. But you both need the relay kit and the Canceller kit for them to work at its best and no flicking. ebay seems to be cheap in money so I would buy from there. Good luck

Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

I got the relay kit already that came with my hid bulbs, so i already have that and still got the flickering so i need to get the cancellers to stop the flickering and the lamp out warning.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
JRam_4.7
Rookie

I have 8000k Hi/Lo Kit. I installed my HID kit myself and I had the same flickering problem but I just took it to my local customs shop 2 blocks down and they wired it some way to make it work.

I would go for something like this...HID Relay Harness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-F...Q5fAccessories

From what I have seen and read cancelers do not work.

Hope you find what you need to make them work.

Last edited by JRam_4.7; 10-05-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You need the resistors on the headlight kits to make them not flicker. The trucks computer is looking for a certain amount of resistance in the circuit that is normally given by halogen bulbs. But with HIDs there is no filament in the bulbs so no resistance is detected and thats why you get the Lamp Out and flickering.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
02dodgeram5.9
Professional

So would that be the same thing as what cancellers would do? I'm a lil dumb when it comes to the hid lighting. So everything needs to be explained to me.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

i added resistors to mine and the flickering stopped and i gotta add one more to get rid of the lamp out, and i havent used the capacitors

Last edited by irelandshemi; 10-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Ben D.
Champion

from what i've read it seems like the relay kit/ canceller kit/ resistor is all one thing and it's when you use that canceller kit it fixes the problems associated with the HID's. from what i've read you can add resistors/ capacitors into the system by yourself to fix the problem or buy the kits.

does that sound right to anyone?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Ben D.
Champion

well it won't let me edit so my b but double post

I guess i thought about it some more and it seems like all of these suggested solutions really all do the same thing.

the cancellers are a plug and play solution to it all they stop flickering and the lamp out. the relay just pulls power directly from the battery and uses factory headlight plug to just activate the switch inside the relay thus getting constant power from the battery. capacitors will also smooth out the issue with flickering by smoothing out the voltage spikes. I guess it all does the same damn thing really it's just there's quite a few solutions.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben D.
the cancellers are a plug and play solution to it all they stop flickering and the lamp out. the relay just pulls power directly from the battery and uses factory headlight plug to just activate the switch inside the relay thus getting constant power from the battery. capacitors will also smooth out the issue with flickering by smoothing out the voltage spikes. I guess it all does the same damn thing really it's just there's quite a few solutions.
This sounds good to me and is correct. Ive never seen or used the cancellers so IDK what they are made of. All I can do is speak on what I have which is the relay for power and resistors to stop the flicking/lamp Out

Quick Reply: Flickering and Cancellers