3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Tuner to Use? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
jetman150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tuner to Use? Help!

Hi All, new to the forum, saw the stickys, but didnt have time to read through 101 pages for the SC stuff..

Got an 06 ram Hemi, installing dynatech long tubes, magnaflow, and k&N intake.
Wanted to add a tuner, or programmer, but SC says thier programs wont work with long tube headers, and Diablo says I need to go to a CMR for a custom tune, Jet says thiers will work, but im a little leary there..

Anyone have experience with this problem? Or anyone know of a solution?
Will the stock computer do just fine without the tuning?
I dont want to run the engine lean, aluminum heads and texas heat dont mix with lean mixtures...

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah the long tube & CAI lean you out as does a performance canned tune which advances the timing. There is a simple fix for this though.

Install a 180* thermostat, it will keep the PCM outta closed loop mode and will automatically richen the mixture. Band aiding the problem.

I had a local performance shop measure my A/F before and it was REAL LEAN, almost CEL lean. The addition of the cooler thermostat brought me back to just about stock A/F specs...

Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

SC is canned tunes.

DSP is canned tunes as well as custom made tunes. if your a modder, you want a Predator.

Stay AWAY from Jet. Junk

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I think you can adjust the fuel and spark at WOT without going to a CRM tuner with the diablo... Again I THINK you can, I would have to go double check my tuner and see what the menu says...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckin151
I think you can adjust the fuel and spark at WOT without going to a CRM tuner with the diablo... Again I THINK you can, I would have to go double check my tuner and see what the menu says...
When I was running the DSP I could adjust the fuel and spark at WOT.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 PM
jetman150

Hmmm. Well, I think if im going to do it, I will stick to a predator..
question is, how will I know if timing and fuel are correct?
You guys use an A/F meter?

Also, Will the stock computer pick up the slack, or will I have a problem right away?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What year truck do you have? If it's a year that Diablo supports the tranny tuning, go for it without a doubt. If not, it's gonna blow chunks! And yes I tried a Diablo on my '04, couldn't deal with the mushy tranny.
If you have a year that's unsupported, if you have access to a wideband, SC will work of that and make adjustments for the A/F ratio specifically for your truck...

Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
What year truck do you have? If it's a year that Diablo supports the tranny tuning, go for it without a doubt. If not, it's gonna blow chunks! And yes I tried a Diablo on my '04, couldn't deal with the mushy tranny.
Same here. Had it on my truck for a while but couldn't deal with the soft shifts.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

he has an 06 which is fully compatible with the diablo so hes good. Hammer just curious but since when has SC ever offered the ability to custumise a tune? Last I checked they flat out said they would npt do a custom tune which altering the A/F on a tune would be a custom tune to me.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Same here. Had it on my truck for a while but couldn't deal with the soft shifts.
Once you disable mds(if applicable) and raise the shift points, its nothing close to factory mush. Also, with SC coming out with some trans options that Diablo doesn't have...It's only a matter of time before Diablo releases the same stuff. They will just copy from SC what they couldn't do themselves.
Both tuners are really developing and improving by the month if you stand back and look at the picture as a whole. it's not like they came out with tunes and said screw it like many other vehicles out there.

I'm gonna stick it out with my DSP. I'll give them 2-3months to do updating or else I will go to SC because i don't have the need for a custom tune.

Quick Reply: Which Tuner to Use? Help!