3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am i taking to much power from the alt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Please explain your math on how you got to 0 ohm because no matter how many subs/speakers you hooked up in parallel, you still would never get to zero....LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd definitely add a cap to the stereo. Some other ideas are a bigger battery, or larger alternator. Personally, when I get my Road Armor bumpers on the truck (each with a 10k winch) I'm adding the larger alternator, and 2 new Odyessy batteries. A while back I bought a passenger side battery box that the diesel trucks use. Hopefully I'll be all set with this setup.
you can find the larger alternators on ebay for a few hundered and their rated at 230 amps+.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Yeah, I have to ask also, same as weedahoe... How do you get to zero, 8, 4, and 2 are your only options really... it doesnt go to 0... well I guess it can haha, not hooking it up is 0 I guess. lol. 6 might be an option also, but I cant remember, its been a while since Ive had to hook anything up...

Old 10-07-2009, 12:07 PM
snidehockey
Rookie

sorry I meant 1ohm. not 0. But configurations can go as low as .5 ohm

Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

so i want to add 4 more 100watt lights....would upgrading the power and ground wires and adding a capacitor be enough??? thats 600 watts of lighting and a 800 watt amp prob pushing around 300 watts all the time 900 watts???

Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

odyssey batteries are just as good as an optima. The only thing that oddyssey has that an optima does not is the brass terminals. You can get equivelant power out of an optima, which has pantents on how they make their batteries. Why do you say that they arent as good????

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

adding another 4 lights would give you 800 watts of lighting wouldn't it? you have 4 now?

the lights have a constant draw, a capacitor will do nothing for them. it will only be able to damped the affects of the sub hitting. your 8 lights would take up half of your alternator output, nevermind headlights, or foglights if you have them. with that much lighting, a bigger alternator is the way to go.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

And Optima batteries are over priced and dont have a long life span. I have had several and all died around 3 yrs or so. But if you want to continue to add more things that pull more power then the only thing you are able to do is upgrade power/grounds, get a bigger or another battery and alt. There are no quick simple fixes coming short of stop adding things that require power and/or getting rid of some.

But I can understand you you running your stereo and amps but I dont think you are running your stereo and ALL light all at the same time. My ONE amp is double yours and I didnt have those issues.

Last edited by weedahoe; 10-07-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sub connections can actually go down to 1/4ohm for some competition amps. Running your amp at a lower ohm than it's rated for will fry it.
Adding an extra battery won't cut it. if your alternator doesn't have the juice to re-charge the original, then how is it going to have enough power to charge the 2nd one as well????
The only option that is a Fix to the problem is upgrading your alternator. Throw a 200amp on there. That will allow you to run everything without any dimming while the truck is running. Even at idle.
A 2nd battery will help when the truck is turned off so the drain from the lights will be disbursed betwene the 2 batteries and not just one. Also, you must have enough alternator power to fully charge both batteries within a reasonable amount of time.

I have a continuous 1300watts RMS to my subs and a 450watts to my highs. At idle and fully cranked, i get zero dim. I have a Batcap300. it's equivelant to a 300 cranking amp battery and is as powerful as a 100farad capacitor. it's a micro battery that has the quick charge of a capacitor and the power of a large battery. I've had it 4 years now and it still works like a champ. Cost me $140 on ebay. I ran my mustang off of that tiny little battery for a few weeks as my Optima went dead on me. Car cranked over quick and it was like the Optima battery was working....except it wasn't installed....lol

Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

Yea i actually leave all my highs on for about 20 min sometimes that includes both headlights and the 4 aux headlights behind the grill...i also have my stereo on pounding the entire time.....its ok for about 20 min but then she hits and the lights diiiiimmmm but my voltage stays the same wtf is with that??

Quick Reply: Am i taking to much power from the alt?