3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Six Pac Camper on a 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Syncro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six Pac Camper on a 1500

Cab over campers are generally pretty heavy and need big trucks, I know, but there are ultra light units out there that supposedly work on 1/2 tons.

I've been looking at light overhead campers for my '08 1500. Six Pac offers a small unit for a short box 1/2 ton that weighs ~1200# dry. Its pretty basic with with no bath, no elect fridge, just a bare bones simple camper that suites our purpose. The reason for the Six Pac brand is they have hard sides, unlike the pop up campers.

Adding all the weights up I come in a few hundred lbs over my truck's GVW, worst case would be 600# over. Helper springs should handle that.

My question is has anybody used one of these small campers on their SWB 1500? How did it work out? Any issues being 300-600 lbs over weight?

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by Syncro; 10-11-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go for airbags... im sure hammer will stop by here and post a link :P
i wouldnt have a problem going over a little, but depending on your state, you might have a little trouble... especially if you get in an accident
do you plan on pulling a trailer or anything?
and remeber, you have to add the weight of all your gear, and passengers.. etc

how much are those campers?
i've looked at popups, but mostly because they are lighter (around 1200lbs)
they make campers for mid-sized trucks that are a lot lighter, depending on how much room you need...

Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Syncro

Yup, airbags may be better and sure is an option. I didn't think about liability, you make a good point. I wouldn't be towing anything though, just the added weight of the camper.

Speaking of towing, if this doesn't work out a smaller trailer may be our other option. Casita makes a neat lightweight trailer, buuut.... they are sure proud of 'em price wise!

Price on the Six Pac is ~ $9,500. The factory is located in Sacramento, so we might just drive over there and look at them since we are only 150 miles away.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

i've actually thought about getting a small popup camper and pulling it behind my boat (20 foot bass boat) rather than getting a truck camper.... since most of the truck campers that are in my price range cannot be used off of the truck

if you arent going to be pulling anything, i would definately look into a pull behind camper, you can get a decent used one for a lot less than a decent truck camper, and you will have a lot more room, and the truck wont be tied down to it... that 4.7 will pull a mid sized camper just fine... even if you have 3.55 gears...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

i just looked at their site... they are pretty tall... i would hate to drive with one on the interstate in the wind... especially with a 4.7, and it would be a little nerve racking with a regular cab short box too
and truck campers are way over priced IMO

Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Syncro

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
i just looked at their site... they are pretty tall... i would hate to drive with one on the interstate in the wind... especially with a 4.7, and it would be a little nerve racking with a regular cab short box too
and truck campers are way over priced IMO
All good points, I noticed they seemed kinda tall also. The advantage of not pulling a trailer is being able to drive through cities and towns easier and parking is not an issue with just the truck. I'll post my decision after I physically look at them later in the week. Right now I'm not very optimistic about getting one.

You are right about towing with the 4.7. I also have an equipment trailer that I occasionally pull, recently hauled a load of iron pipe about 200 miles with a loaded trailer weight ~6000 lbs. Thing is though its low to the ground with no wind resistance. For a camper type trailer I'd feel more comfortable with a gross of more like 3500 lbs.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
12elentless
Professional

honestly id go with a small trailer. for the price youd be getting way more for your money.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
all of 75
Veteran

Personally I would go with a trailer and avoid overloading. Plus you could have a bunch more amenities and space if you went with one.

P.S. If you do go the camper route go with some airbags.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Syncro

Thanks all for the input. After researching the matter I made a management decision to avoid all slide in campers on my little Dodge 1500. Airbags or not, the axles, brakes, etc weren't made for that much weight. Probably sound advice to anyone considering overloading a 1/2 ton.

The reason I got this truck anyways was as a personal vehicle (cowboy Cadillac) to cruise the Interstates at 75, and to watch F-150's and Silverado's in my mirrors as I smoke 'em at lights! haa, only kidding, but I can't resist mashing on it now & then just to show off!

Our attention will now go exclusively to either a Class C with dual wheels made for a cab-over camper, or a small fiberglass type trailer behind the 1500.

Frank

Quick Reply: Six Pac Camper on a 1500