3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RollBAK tonneau cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RollBAK tonneau cover?

Does anyone have this or the "JackRabbit" cover? If you don't know what I'm talking about, its the cover that rolls up into a canister at the front of the bed. Anyway... my question is how well does it work? It looks like a great product, but for $700+ I'd like some feedback first.
I've read reviews on places like "autoanything" and there are few complaints, which mostly relate to the installation of the cover because the bed is not perfectly square. Just looking for some feedback please.

Also, on an unrelated topic... how come when I upload a signature pic from a link, it shows up in the "current sig. pic" box, but not in the preview or posts?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM
korby05
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i have one for my truck..it came with the truck and it had been on it since 2003. the reason i know this is because it was my grandmothers truck and i bought it.
anyways the cover is nice but they seem to break easily. the spring on the inside of the canister i mean. plus if you want to haul anything like a quad (ATV) you either have to take it off or leave the tailgate down plus if you have a oem bedliner with hooks on it you loose those since the canister is right there. The jackrabbit actually has a latch in it that lets you open it up i think every 2 ft so that you still can put stuff in and let it hang on the tailgate and still keep other stuff dry.
it does need some maintenance to keep it looking like new because it is black vinyl and it will fade and crack. also the canister takes up about 1.5 to 2 ft of bed space

I personally took mine off to try to fix. but even with the new spring in it it still doesn't work. I would personally look for something better and cheaper

Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by korby05
yeah i have one for my truck..it came with the truck and it had been on it since 2003. the reason i know this is because it was my grandmothers truck and i bought it.
anyways the cover is nice but they seem to break easily. the spring on the inside of the canister i mean. plus if you want to haul anything like a quad (ATV) you either have to take it off or leave the tailgate down plus if you have a oem bedliner with hooks on it you loose those since the canister is right there. The jackrabbit actually has a latch in it that lets you open it up i think every 2 ft so that you still can put stuff in and let it hang on the tailgate and still keep other stuff dry.
it does need some maintenance to keep it looking like new because it is black vinyl and it will fade and crack. also the canister takes up about 1.5 to 2 ft of bed space

I personally took mine off to try to fix. but even with the new spring in it it still doesn't work. I would personally look for something better and cheaper
Thanks for the insight. The RollBAK is actually powdercoated aluminum that is strong enough to stand on without deforming. As far as the spring goes, the only thing I know about it is that you have to set it by rolling the canister a certain number of times before you can pull the top out of the canister and mount it.

Sorry if you know that stuff already...

As far as the space it takes up, I'm not too concerned about it because I'm not an ATV guy. Although the thought has crossed my mind, in case I needed the full bed length. When my vinyl tonneau finally craps out, its either something like this, or a full topper. I love the way a lifted truck looks with a cap. Kind of like "Rubber Frog" on this forum.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
korby05
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that's the new one they just came out with..the one i have is the original jack rabbit made by pace edwards..they make some good covers too..they cost about the same as the rollbak plus they have different styles that you can look at

Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the TruXedo cover that rolls up as well. I only gave $200 new on Ebay. Never leaks and is easy to use.

Quick Reply: RollBAK tonneau cover?