3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's up + A Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
PDeezy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up + A Question

Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2004 Ram 1500 Quadcab, and I love it. I was a chevy man up until I started test driving the Dodge's. Anyways I was surfing around, and I stumbled upon this forum, seems to be pretty cool, so Hey. I'll get around to posting some pics when I get off of work - Lol.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here it goes.

In my Chevy, I had 2 15's rattling in the back where my extended cab seat once was. I don't need as much bass as I used to however so I was planning on going for the under the rear seat method. The only problem is most of those boxes seem to be sort of expensive simply because they are "custom made" for the 3rd generation dodge rams. So...I was thinking i might be able to build a box of my own? Not sure if this seems completely out of whack, but I've build enclosures before with moderate success (nothing of this complication), and I don't think it would be too difficult. Anyone know anything about building this type of box? Or seen this box specifically self-fabed before? I've heard there are some programs out there that are supposed to help out a lot too, any thoughts?

Look forward to many more posts to come. BTW - When I bought the truck it had chrome door pulls (and tailgate pull), as well as a chrome tip on the tail pipe. Since then I've added a Pioneer head unit, with iPod adapter (wired through the back of my glove box, so my iPod sits hidden away, i thought it was nice since the iPod is controlled through the deck and doesnt serve a purpose being out), and all new door speakers - Infinity Reference 6 1/2's in the back, and some Sony Xplode 6X9's in the front (****ty, I know, but they were free - eventually I want to go All alpine or infinity, depnds on what sub -or subs- i end up with under the back seat.)

Thanks guys.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome man. another dallas member nice.
i tried building my own box and it turned out ok but not enough airspace so i upgraded and now i have a 12" jl w3 with fox box. fox box (fox acoustics.com) are the best boxes for our ram imo. they sound great
Name:  P1011072.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  228.3 KB

also check out www.dfwrams.com lots of local rams there

Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Mike Jazz
Amateur

Yes, I agree with the FoxBox. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 AM
PDeezy

Nice nice, they look pretty bad ***. Pretty sure anything i build will look and sound about 10X less impressive than those bad boys. Guess I'll have to save up money for those. I have some extra mdf board in the shed I'm gonna start tinkering with, if anything decent comes out of it I'll post some pics.

Another question, or maybe just a thought. Any thoughts on maybe buying the 10" model to allow for a deeper mounting depth, therefore larger (depth wise) magnet? Guess it would still be a preference thing.

Thanks for the input guys.

Got a cell pic of the truck up

Last edited by PDeezy; 10-22-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

his prices aren't too bad for what you get. what are you trying to run in it? he recommends the alpine type-r subs rated at 500 rms and 1500 peak. get 2 on beay for 200.00 and call it good. i dont know if the fox box would hold a type-x 1000 rms and 3000 peak. you could always do a custom center console build and fit what ever you would like.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I originally had a Probox with plexi-tops and went from there to the FoxBox and can honestly say I like my FB better.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

somebody had replaced the front center storage beneath the seat with a box made of MDF. can't remember who it was.

welcome to DF!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 AM
PDeezy

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
his prices aren't too bad for what you get. what are you trying to run in it? he recommends the alpine type-r subs rated at 500 rms and 1500 peak. get 2 on beay for 200.00 and call it good. i dont know if the fox box would hold a type-x 1000 rms and 3000 peak. you could always do a custom center console build and fit what ever you would like.
Ya I definitely agree that for what you get, the price isn't bad. However I'm still saving money for some extra school, so money is a little tight these days. So I'll probably start saving for this box, and just see what I can come up with on my own for now. Same thing goes with what I'll be running in there. I have some pretty terrible 12's that I've had in my garage for awhile, those will be used at first, until I can save up some cheddar for a decent system. This will definitely be a work in progress, slow upgrades along the way. I was planning on JL or Alpine. My first system ever was 2 JL 10's and those were the cleanest/tightest sounding subs I've ever had. My friend owns some Alpine 12's that are pretty bad ***. But, my other buddy has come Kicker comp-vrs that are comparable - any thoughts on the kickers?

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I originally had a Probox with plexi-tops and went from there to the FoxBox and can honestly say I like my FB better.
Thanks for the input, seems like this will be the one to purchase when I get the cash.

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
somebody had replaced the front center storage beneath the seat with a box made of MDF. can't remember who it was.

welcome to DF!
Haha I acutally just stumbled accross this the other day when I was trying to get the middle seat belt out from underneath the seat for my girlfriend. I had no idea that storage space was there. As soon as I saw it i thought - man that'd be a cool spot for a sub. Hell, even one of those powered subwoofers you can buy -like those bazooka tubes- would be an easy addition to a system in that location.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

there are boxes mad called hot boxes that replace the center consol. some people have built their own custom box to replace the center consol. let your imagination run

Old 10-20-2009, 02:12 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: What's up + A Question