3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Anybody else get this at 120k+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would think with it having been flushed that it wouldnt be clogged but ive also always been told it depends on where you live and what kind of deposits are in the water.

As for the timing chain, keep an eye on that because it is has not been changed and being the mileage you have, if it jumps or slips, it could cost you an engine. Maintenance IS costly.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with everyone else, these are minor problems that wouldnt have happened if you had maintained your truck properly. i mean, how hard is it to change the plugs and packs, and flush the coolant? good luck with that audi, if you get behind on maintenance on that (which you obviously will) it is gunna fall apart, and then its gunna cost you an arm, leg, and a nut to fix it.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM
mellino19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I would think with it having been flushed that it wouldnt be clogged but ive also always been told it depends on where you live and what kind of deposits are in the water" yeah thats exactly what I was thining and we mixed the coolant with spring water out of a gallon so idk it's weird, my dads ordering a heater core today

"good luck with that audi, if you get behind on maintenance on that (which you obviously will) it is gunna fall apart, and then its gunna cost you an arm, leg, and a nut to fix it."
I'm most likely not getting one until I have a full-time job, a 21 yr old full time college student cant afford that **** unless their rich parents spoil them or they're a drug dealer haha

Apparently it isn't hard to change the plugs seeing as to how I JUST DID THE OTHER DAY...coil packs are fine though, fluids are fine, just the heater core right now. I maintain it properly I just wasn't aware that hoses go around then and if you read earlier I said I bought the truck with 111k miles on it so I wasn't sure if the hoses were new or not

Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good rule of thumb when buying a used vehicle, is to assume that nothing has been done to it as far as maintenance goes. so when budgeting for a used vehicle purchase, leave some money on hand to do all required maintenance right up front. it will save you a ton of heartache in the near future.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

OlDirtyjohn, thats exactly what were doing right now with my wifes Mini Cooper. Im playing catch up on everything I can because IDK what has or hasnt been done to it. Sure it might cost me a bit to do it all but in the end at least I KNOW what has been done to it.

As for Millino19, its not that changing of the plugs is hard, it thats they are a PITA. But then again, thats on a 5.7 and i see you have a 4.7 so you guys might have more room. We (5.7 guys) have to remove the tires and well liners to get to our plugs. Thats why its a PITA. But i think you our on track. just take care of everything you can and stay on top of it and you will be ok. Things always come up when you least expect it. For instance, on our trip out of town and 3hrs away, my wifes PS pump takes a crap. And you know what, we never seen it coming. So when i get home today Ive got to take it out and tear it all apart and hope to rebuild it or fork out 200-500 for a reman-ed or new one.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
OlDirtyjohn, thats exactly what were doing right now with my wifes Mini Cooper. Im playing catch up on everything I can because IDK what has or hasnt been done to it. Sure it might cost me a bit to do it all but in the end at least I KNOW what has been done to it.

As for Millino19, its not that changing of the plugs is hard, it thats they are a PITA. But then again, thats on a 5.7 and i see you have a 4.7 so you guys might have more room. We (5.7 guys) have to remove the tires and well liners to get to our plugs. Thats why its a PITA. But i think you our on track. just take care of everything you can and stay on top of it and you will be ok. Things always come up when you least expect it. For instance, on our trip out of town and 3hrs away, my wifes PS pump takes a crap. And you know what, we never seen it coming. So when i get home today Ive got to take it out and tear it all apart and hope to rebuild it or fork out 200-500 for a reman-ed or new one.

adding to what you said not long after i got my truck, i peaked into the diff through the filler plug and saw that it only had about half the fluid it should. you never know what kind of maintenance was performed before you bought it.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:18 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

ramhunter dont make me hate you by being a smart *** lol...end quote

i could care less if you hate me or like me as a newbie i should tell you im DF's resident hard ***. get over it . i dont need anymore friends. you wanted opinions i gave mine.

as far as your pops beaing a mechanic ??? did you not pay attention to him in the shop?? because you should have learned all what the guys are saying. hell before you bought it you should have had him look it over IMO

Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
i could care less if you hate me or like me as a newbie i should tell you im DF's resident hard ***. get over it . i dont need anymore friends. you wanted opinions i gave mine.

Wait a minute, I thought that was DirtyDog?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Minor problems caused by not following the recommended service intervals perhaps? Coolant changes, 30K tune ups, etc?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Wait a minute, I thought that was DirtyDog?
lol ya its a toss up between me and brother dogg

Quick Reply: Anybody else get this at 120k+ miles?