3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine block heater, and Battery Blanket

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
moosefire66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine block heater, and Battery Blanket

Does anyone have either of these? I definately prefer the block heater to the battery blanket, however I called the dealer, and they said they make packages, where you can get them together. I assume with just one power plug cord. Neither is a necessity for me, but bein a volunteer firefighter, I want the engine to be warm if i get a run in the middle of the night. And the battery blanket, well that cant hurt either. here is what i'm talkin about....
http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_ram/ac...ck_heater.html

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_ram/ac...y_blanket.html

Does anyone have the factory kit with both of these??? or anyone buy an aftermarket for a good price??

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the block heater, it works pretty well even gets a little heat to the tranny so it doesnt take so long to shift into OD. I had a helluva time getting it in because i btoke off the bolt. You just have to unhook battery, unbolt and remove starter, and clean out the holes REALLY REALLY well especially the threaded one, then bolt 'er on and run the wire. I ended up welding mine in...

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the block heater as well. no problems with install.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Iam still running the original battery in my truck with only a non plugin blanket for the battery and a block heater. I live in Canada and the truck starts no problem when it has been plugged in on a timer over night even when temperature reach -45 Celcius which is pretty damn chilly like really chilly. Frost bite to un protected flesh in under 15 minutes chilly.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hemiguy0302
Iam still running the original battery in my truck with only a non plugin blanket for the battery and a block heater. I live in Canada and the truck starts no problem when it has been plugged in on a timer over night even when temperature reach -45 Celcius which is pretty damn chilly like really chilly. Frost bite to un protected flesh in under 15 minutes chilly.
do you need a timer? i always assumed they turned off at a cartain temp, otherwise they would get pretty dam hot...
my old man is already bichin about me usin too much electricity... these things are like 600watts!

OP- heres where i got mine, best price i found: https://www.dodgeparts.com/product_i...oducts_id/1900

I think the battery blanket is overkill

Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

Im also in -45c sometimes with my dodge ram...hell last winter i was driving up to work and it got SOOO cold i reached the max limit for as cold as my thermometer would go it got to like -46 or something then it just went blank ----- till it got a bit warmer again. Havent had her plugged in sometimes and she started fine at -40c. I plug mine it usually in the winter and run synthetic oils and she starts like a CHAMP.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

Cheapbeater - I called the dealership and apparently they dont make the factory one for my 02' anymore. Thats why I was lookin for aftermarket.

Do you guys think that wiring the engine block heater, a battery blanket and a on board battery charger to one outlet would blow the houses electrical outlet breaker?? ?? ??

Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

depends what breaker you have....

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by moosefire66
Cheapbeater - I called the dealership and apparently they dont make the factory one for my 02' anymore. Thats why I was lookin for aftermarket.

Do you guys think that wiring the engine block heater, a battery blanket and a on board battery charger to one outlet would blow the houses electrical outlet breaker?? ?? ??
oh, sorry man, i didnt realise you had the 4.7
i think thats a lot of power draw... like i said, my block heater is 600watts itself

Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

Not sure, mine might have came factory stock with block heater. I live in a dorm so i can't plug it in, kind of gay when i walk out and the cars next to me are burried in snow, but i have never had a problem starting it been down to -30*F and she starts fine after i clean the snow out of the engine bay

Quick Reply: Engine block heater, and Battery Blanket