3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002-2005 Double DIN

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009 | 10:30 PM
OlDirtyJohn
|
Record Breaker
Default 2002-2005 Double DIN

Over the last couple months I was seeing a lot of questions regarding Double DIN stereo bezels for the 2002-2005 rams. I had found this bezel a long time ago but could not find it again till just now.

Double DIN Bezel

So, for all 2002-2005 owners wanting to use a 2 din stereo, your only options are to fab up a bezel yourself or fork over the money for that one there. i think it would look pretty slick painted with that black wrinkle stuff. just a heads up.

Old 10-25-2009 | 10:35 PM
CubanBlood

That is just great. I think i am going to bid one it.Thanks Captain.

Old 10-25-2009 | 11:16 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

expensive, but looks great!

Old 10-26-2009 | 07:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Old 10-26-2009 | 08:29 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

hey weed, can you take pictures of what it looks like behind the bezel? I know you had to cut out a bunch to fit the box in there and would like to see what it involves.

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I unfortunately dont have any pics or that but its just the very top part of that cavity that needs to be cut out because the back of that cavity tapers down so it will not let the DD HU fit all the way to the back. All I did was use my soldering gun with a knife tip and cut the plastic out. I cut the from edge and down the two top corners all the way to the back and removed that top plastic piece out. Then the DD will fit fine.

If anyone needs any aluminum L brackets made so you can mount the DD, just LMK. Ive got metal and bending machines at work. All you have to do is cover the shipping, nothing else.

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:55 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I unfortunately dont have any pics or that but its just the very top part of that cavity that needs to be cut out because the back of that cavity tapers down so it will not let the DD HU fit all the way to the back. All I did was use my soldering gun with a knife tip and cut the plastic out. I cut the from edge and down the two top corners all the way to the back and removed that top plastic piece out. Then the DD will fit fine.

If anyone needs any aluminum L brackets made so you can mount the DD, just LMK. Ive got metal and bending machines at work. All you have to do is cover the shipping, nothing else.
I might take you up on that!

Waht did you use for a 'reference'? how did you line up the hole on the trim to the opening?just center it and cut both ways I guess?

Last edited by xfeejayx; 10-26-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
I might take you up on that!

Waht did you use for a 'reference'? how did you line up the hole on the trim to the opening?just center it and cut both ways I guess?
The plates I made for mine were about 1" tabs on the front to screw into the dash and were about 4-5 inches long to screw in the DD HU chassis.

I first made mine from SS that it was really hard to drill and it had to be adjusted a bit. So aluminum is really the way to go. But as for marking the brackets for holes, I sat my HU on its side and laid the bracket on it first and marked accordingly. Once I had those two holes marked on each side I drlled and mounted them. Then I slid the HU into the dash and marked those holes that need to be drill also.

OP, not trying to thread jack but if you or anyone else is gong to do a DD, you are going to need to know this also.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:30 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i meant for the opening in the bezel. just go up and down?

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:35 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Once I had my DD HU mounted in the dash I sat my bezel up against the HU and carefully scribed where I needed to cut. I cut a little to the left and right on the top and bottom and then filled in the "half moons" by gorilla gluing ABS plastic to the back side and then filling them in with bondo and sanding smooth.

Quick Reply: 2002-2005 Double DIN