3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best Brakes Out There......?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Chris27
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brakes Out There......?

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi. Want to know the best brakes I can put on this truck when the brakes are time to go. Price doesn't matter.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Powerslot Cryogenic slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads. AIRram.com has good prices.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM
ImpalaJim66

Chris27,
There are many versions, depending on the type of driving you do. To upgrade for any type of hauling or towing, you might want to consider drilled&slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads. These can be found on EBay for about $290.00 for all four wheels (rotors and pads included), most have free shipping. You will imrpove your braking by 20%, and at the same time keep the temperature down on your rotors and pads. Heat build up is what causes most rotor/pad failures, the less heat the longer they last.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drilled rotors are prone to failure. ie cracking.

+1 on what dirtydog said. i like my hawk lts pads alot. great stopping power, super quiet, no brake dust at all yet.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the EBC drilled and slotted rotors with their EBC P6000 Greenstuff pads.
Can't say enough about them. Excellent.

I agree with OlDirtyJohn about the fully drilled through holes, in the rotors.
The EBC's come with profiled and shaped dimples, to stop this weakess of cracking.
Plus another very importatant consideration is when rotor material is removed by drilling and slotting, this is the very stuff which helps to keep the rotor cool.
The more metal/mass a rotor has, the more it's able to dissipate heat more effectively.
It's quite a compromise in design engineering, to achieve the best of all worlds.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 10-28-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the NAPA performance rotors and pads. Seem to be seeing a lot of guys with them with no warping, cracking breaking and they come with a lifetime warranty. Im going to see about getting a set as soon as I get the exhaust finished up so probably in a week or two.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone that I've talked to that has done the SRT10 swap (knuckles, rotors, calipers) has raved about them.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Everyone that I've talked to that has done the SRT10 swap (knuckles, rotors, calipers) has raved about them.

The problem with that is SRT-10......waaaay overpriced. I'd rather buy new than used at 80% of the new price. All these places buy salvaged SRT10's and want buku bucks for everything. i stay away from that stuff.
besides, by going to a Quality slotted rotor and Quality pads the difference will be minimal for the average driver. Installing SRT10 rotors/pads won't give any better braking under normal driving conditions than quality stuff that is an easy swap.
Quality is not some offbrand from Ebay. ceramic pads are not Quality, they are just low dust pads that have terrible brake fade when pushed hard.
The Cryogenic rotors are specially treated and are quality material.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ferro carbon is what the hawk lts pads are made of. very low dust and noise, and amazing stopping power.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
ferro carbon is what the hawk lts pads are made of. very low dust and noise, and amazing stopping power.

With much reduced brake fade over ceramic
in other words, you get consistent braking time after time in a heavy truck and when towing. Ceramics glaze when they get hot and force you to push the pedal harder

Quick Reply: Best Brakes Out There......?