3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wife was bored

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 AM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuned93
hot chick.. loves cars... luckyyyy
and she never lets me forget it either

Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Modern engine's do not need backpressure to run properly. That's an old carburator thing. Not to say the engine will run good with no headers, but you know what i mean. The issue is with torque loss down low with less backpressure
The issue with "dual exhausts" is that most guys retain the stock y-pipe and then split the exhuast up after that and call it dual exhaust. it's not. 2-1-2 is not a true dual. 2 all the way back is and will outperform 2-1-2 all day long.
Shorty headers don't do give a ton of perfomrnace likt LT's do. I bought mine because I got a great deal on them and they are suppose to have the best gains of shorty headers. I got a pair of new Stainless JBA's for $280
Shorties....10hp/10tq on average
LT's.....20hp+/30tq+ on average with the proper tune.
Those are rough guestimates.
LT's with true duals are not too much. The LT's make up for the duals on low end because of the torque they provide down low.
i would say buy a programmer before spending money on headers or a CAI.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Originally Posted by jusjay727
exnay the full dual...not enough back pressure for the 4.7l my exhaust guy said it would actually hurt my performance if i did it.... but dont just take my word for it im sure others might disagree but im not perfectly sure just what i was told.....
Maybe on a 4.7, but my Hemi really woke up with adding the X-pipe and dual flowmaster 40's. I even get better fuel economy. And I also added magnaflow cats. Not sure about the 4.7, but the Hemi Y-pipe and stock cats really choke up the exhaust in my opinion. You figure that Y-pipe goes from 2, 2.25" pipes into the single 2.75" pipe... pretty restrictive.

I'm glad my girl isn't into my truck, that way she never asks to drive it. ALL MINE!! LOL

Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I wish my wife was interested in working on the truck, instead I get the head out the back door asking "are you done yet?" or "you spend more time working on that truck than you spend with me" which is complete BS. I am glad she is scared of driving it though

As for the true duals, With the right size pipe you should be semi alright, just dont go any larger than 2.5" out and you should be good. Going 3" all the way out is to big, even for the hemi.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey xill, not trying to thread jack. But I will give you a deal on my magnaflow y pipe and electric cutout if you want shoot me a PM.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Modern engine's do not need backpressure to run properly. That's an old carburator thing. Not to say the engine will run good with no headers, but you know what i mean. The issue is with torque loss down low with less backpressure
The issue with "dual exhausts" is that most guys retain the stock y-pipe and then split the exhuast up after that and call it dual exhaust. it's not. 2-1-2 is not a true dual. 2 all the way back is and will outperform 2-1-2 all day long.
Shorty headers don't do give a ton of perfomrnace likt LT's do. I bought mine because I got a great deal on them and they are suppose to have the best gains of shorty headers. I got a pair of new Stainless JBA's for $280
Shorties....10hp/10tq on average
LT's.....20hp+/30tq+ on average with the proper tune.
Those are rough guestimates.
LT's with true duals are not too much. The LT's make up for the duals on low end because of the torque they provide down low.
i would say buy a programmer before spending money on headers or a CAI.
yea the true duals i was referring to was each side straight back from each header with a magnaflow on each side. i have 3" piping all the way back right now, but running a y-pipe (which is also 3"). just seems like 3" front to back from each header would be a bit much. i wouldn't mind running a setup like you're talking about with LTs but they dont make LTs for the 4.7s id have to retrofit a set from the hemi, and i was told by nick over at airram that LTs would hurt performance unless i was pushing at least 350hp. so i kinda put long tubes on the back burner til way later. i do already have a programmer and CAI though

Old 10-29-2009, 02:46 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by truckin151
I wish my wife was interested in working on the truck, instead I get the head out the back door asking "are you done yet?" or "you spend more time working on that truck than you spend with me" which is complete BS.
that's exactly what i hear about the computer. she'd rather me be in the garage than the office

Quick Reply: wife was bored