3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggestions for speaker protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
PDeezy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw dirty dog, those things look they might do some damage to the bottom of your seats? lol

Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet is to just raise your seat 3/4". Any higher you'll max out the hinges that hold the back rests up. I mean that pretty much all you can do. I also have my seat folded up most of the time when no one is in the truck. when people are sitting back there i just won't turn it up. Its just one of the disadvantages of putting audio in a car that isn't even closely designed for it.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PDeezy
btw dirty dog, those things look they might do some damage to the bottom of your seats? lol

Nah. They do press up against the seat as anticipated, but just enough to push the falling bottom area up[ without effecting the position of the seat. When I sit on the seat, it does put a little pressure on the grills, but again. I measured it out perfectly.
I have had 2 passengers back there Once in the 22months that I have owned it, so not too worried about hurting the seats. More worried about saving the subs...lol

BTW...no spacers here.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
PDeezy

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
Best bet is to just raise your seat 3/4". Any higher you'll max out the hinges that hold the back rests up. I mean that pretty much all you can do. I also have my seat folded up most of the time when no one is in the truck. when people are sitting back there i just won't turn it up. Its just one of the disadvantages of putting audio in a car that isn't even closely designed for it.
Ya that's what I've been doing, just leaving them up. Looks like spacers and/or a grill should be ok, I'll figure something out. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Nah. They do press up against the seat as anticipated, but just enough to push the falling bottom area up[ without effecting the position of the seat. When I sit on the seat, it does put a little pressure on the grills, but again. I measured it out perfectly.
I have had 2 passengers back there Once in the 22months that I have owned it, so not too worried about hurting the seats. More worried about saving the subs...lol

BTW...no spacers here.
Ya i can feel that the fabric moves up quite a bit before you hit anything solid, so i could see how nothing would be getting poked too bad. I really don't have people in my back seat too much, either. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:29 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

How does that box sound?? i ordered a bass works 10 inch enclosure for under the back seat and went over to the dealer and had a look at it...looks pretty much like yours and there doesnt seem to be enough air space inside....my woofers for a enclosed none ported box need 1.43 cubed amount of air space.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM
PDeezy

Originally Posted by dunerider650
How does that box sound?? i ordered a bass works 10 inch enclosure for under the back seat and went over to the dealer and had a look at it...looks pretty much like yours and there doesnt seem to be enough air space inside....my woofers for a enclosed none ported box need 1.43 cubed amount of air space.
1.43 a piece or for the both? I think this box is about .65 or so for each, so your going to be a little on the low side, but they sound pretty good. It depends on the quality of sub you put in there, but for the most part I'd say the box works pretty well. I'll probably use it for a year or two, then upgrade to a fiberglass model with more airspace.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

I use my back seat a lot, otherwise I would just take it out and make an enclosure to replace those seats. You wouldn't have Air Space issues then. LOL.

It was hard to find subs that met my wants as far as RMS power and their required air space. If I remember correctly I was only able to find like one or two subs that would work in that tight space.

I wanted subs with a 1500-2000W RMS power each, and as mentioned the air space is only about .65 cu in. Which ain't much. LOL. Too make the search even harder, I want 10's. Don't listen to much rap, mostly hard rock - metal. You know the stuff most people hate. But I don't want all bass, I want a system that's too loud. But clarity is what I'm searching for. Had a good lead on Inifinity Kappas for my door speakers, just didn't have the funding at the time. I think with the subs I want keeping the door speakers at around 150W-200W RMS should be plenty loud. Hopefully it won't be complete and utter bass. (used to like that as a kid, but now I'm grown up and have kids).

Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by PDeezy
type R's have a lot of excursion (maybe alpines in general - anyone?), not sure if it's the type of rubber or what, but they move a lot vertically (more so than most subs) and rubbing up against something over and over again for that long could really eff them up.

i was talking to kx250frider617 about his install and he said his got pretty chewed up.
You have the older model? Mine move alot an I have a 2400 watt for them.. But I have one of the old ported fox box's till my new fox box comes in.. Whenever that is.. Lol but the port on my box holds the seat up for me from the box.. didnt think the subs could get chewed up from the seats? that cloth stuff under it seems pretty soft to me..

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Anybody got a recommendation for replacement speakers that would give me clarity and rich bass? I was thinking that "Infinity kappa's" might be the best option, but what about "Polk's", anyone tried those that could give me a decent review? LOL. I want a speaker that would be a direct replacement, something that I could run off a decent 4 channel amp, and would give me the clarity and rich bass that I desire. (Obviously I'm not expecting my doors to be "flexing" with door speakers, but the "Bose" systems that came in some cars were the sh*t. LOL. They sounded good. (Wish mine did).

Quick Reply: Suggestions for speaker protection