3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggestions for speaker protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
PDeezy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for speaker protection

Just put some 10's in under the back seat. However when I put the seat down, the fabric is definitely touching the rubber. I don't want it to get chewed up, but I can't seem to find a grill that is tall enough to account for these Alpine's excursion.

Any suggestions? Here's a pic of the install I did at 1am in the Wal-Mart parking lot because I was excited, lol. Will complete a proper install this weekend...if 6th street doesn't get a hold of me.

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for speaker protection-truck-subs.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What most guys do (myself incluided) is add MDF spacers (or large nuts) under the seat to raise it an inch or so.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what i need to do thanks weed i was thinking mdf would work cause it 3/4 of an inch ill just have to paint it black ...ur a genius i cant believe i havent thought of that....slap self in face.....mine have been like that for a yr and no problems at all just dont bang hard with adults in the back i barely ever have adults in there only my kid or my dogs ride back there.....

Old 10-30-2009, 04:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have custom made grills.
Name:  DSCI0806.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  94.3 KB

Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
What most guys do (myself incluided) is add MDF spacers (or large nuts) under the seat to raise it an inch or so.
Agreed, that's what I suggest.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jusjay727
thats what i need to do thanks weed i was thinking mdf would work cause it 3/4 of an inch ill just have to paint it black ...ur a genius i cant believe i havent thought of that....slap self in face.....mine have been like that for a yr and no problems at all just dont bang hard with adults in the back i barely ever have adults in there only my kid or my dogs ride back there.....
THX but I didnt come up with the idea. I got spacers with my foxbox I bought

Old 10-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Hollywood589
Professional

fox boxes are made here in my home town i actually know the guy who makes them... as for speaker protection... u know the rubber matting that is used in fitness centers on the floor? i cut a section of that and cut it to fit the feet of my rear seat... drilled holes through it and used that as risers for my seat and it works great!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
PDeezy

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Do you have to use longer bolts when you add a spacer?

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I have custom made grills.
Ya some tall one's like these might work, I bet if I keep looking I can find some.

I think I'm going to add a spacer and a tall grill, I just really don't want the rubber to get chewed up on these type R's. Thanks for the help guys, I'll get some pics when I have it all done.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

why do you think the rubber will get chewed? im not understanding ive had my cheapo *** kickers in there for a yr with the seat right above them and not even a scratch on the rubber.....let alone a problem wit the subs......

Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 PM
PDeezy

type R's have a lot of excursion (maybe alpines in general - anyone?), not sure if it's the type of rubber or what, but they move a lot vertically (more so than most subs) and rubbing up against something over and over again for that long could really eff them up.

i was talking to kx250frider617 about his install and he said his got pretty chewed up.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for speaker protection