3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STS project

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
tk04hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS project

So my truck is going in the direction of the STS kit for next summer. Therefore, all my new installs will be directed towards prepping for the future boosting. I know I am getting 4.56s because I want to put 18s with 35s one day and compensate for the low gearing and crappy tranny with a higher stall billet tq converter (I can buy a stage 2 valve body for 75 bones from my buddy, I say might as well, but if my money is better placed elsewhere then lemme know). Now that said, I probably wouldn't waste the money for a new cam, probably just manely springs, rods, and possibly retainers, lifters. Sadly I wasn't planning on boosting originally, so I have a full exhaust setup, but there's obviously some benefit so I can sound real cool and say I have a turbo-header back exhaust haha. Oh, and sell that nifty cutout as well.
Back to the point, by the time next summer comes around, I want to be able to throw that turbo on and really maximize the expenditure, and maximize total power out of every pound of boost I can handle. Any input?I just want to get some ideas goin here thanks everyone

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

sounds like a good project.. I want to turbo my truck once I get a job again, But I've havnt really seen that much of turbo'd rams. Let me know of what you find!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Sounds cool to me, you gotta throw up some vids when you get it on

Old 11-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

^^^ what he said

Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would do it with a 6.1 block or better. Over the past year or so I've seen a few kits for sale. A few were for selling the truck. All the rest was because the boost got set to overkill and blew something. I found it funny they could afford the 5000-6000 (ish?) turbo kit but not another engine to replace it. Just my $0.02.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
I would do it with a 6.1 block or better. Over the past year or so I've seen a few kits for sale. A few were for selling the truck. All the rest was because the boost got set to overkill and blew something. I found it funny they could afford the 5000-6000 (ish?) turbo kit but not another engine to replace it. Just my $0.02.

That's because they most likely had to beg, borrow or steal the first time around. that or they just charged it away and have no balance remaining...lol

I worked with a guy that made really good money. he always laughed and told everyone he could demolish them with his car. Shortly thereafter, he was living out of his fantasy while I had purchased my first home. What an idiot. nothing like putting all your money into your car and then living on Ramen Noodles and taking showers at the local YMCA to support a HP addiction...lol

Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 AM
tk04hemi
Professional

Well to run the stock "8" boost max is a bit iffy, but i planned on forging a couple things and upgrading around, thus the point of this thread hah. Moes has a package with manley rods springs and retainers, sooo gonna buy that! I was considering a small cam, but i find it better just to spend the money on the stronger rocker. KRC style, but maybe if i can sell enough the cam will find its place. But I am getting the torque converter and gears as a presnt for myself for thanksgiving or christmas. And don't judge my tips, but my rbps paint is coming off (so apparently not powdercoated?), anyway they are cool and sending me some new ones. (just incase anybody thought of dealing with them they are real cool and easy). so anybody got any tips?

so far i plan on gears, tq converter (Valve Body?), rods/springs/retainers, rocker/collar...boooooost

Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hold off on the gears, turbos like load, may want to consider 4.10s instead.

Quick Reply: STS project