3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STS project

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrostKing
Anything short of the absolute best quality headers will start cracking and falling apart in short order from the intense heat and pressure they were not designed for. Headers also have a ton more surface area to dissipate heat and much higher volume than manifolds that will cause a ton of turbo lag. I still highly recommend water/meth injection. The kits are not very expensive compared to the total bill. 5 psi will shoot EGTs past 1400*F with no water and goodbye stock pistons.
Ok, well last time I checked don't you have to get "custom headers" anyway? Unless, your talking about a turbo diesel motor. I don't think that a turbo is gonna mount to any stock manifolds.......at least thats what I thought. IDK. You probably know more than I do. LOL.

Yes, EGT's wreek havoc on a turbo. But, an intercooler and an aftercooler should do the trick. But your probably right about the water/methanol being the way to go. However your comment about "no water", motors are "water jacketed", so how could you not have water? Does the water/methanol inject into the header, or the combustion chamber?

Last edited by RawRam2006; 11-12-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling and some more comments
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

I did see somebody put an STS turbo kit on their Corvette. There was no Water/Methanol injection happening. Their EGT's didn't shoot up to no 1400 degrees.........they just had an intercooler......a pretty big one at that. LOL. Maybe it's different for "truck motors", IDK. LOL.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 PM
tk04hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was looking for some nice domed pistons but cant find any for my truck that handle more than 5psi. and I was planning on water/meth anyway and its cheap in the long run too I just use window washer fluid..its like 90 something percent methanol haha. I have been researching the sts build of this truck quite extensively lately and it appears with just the turbo kit you make a solid 5lbs of boost and that is enough of a world of difference for most people. Im not looking to build a race truck, just one to beat my diesel buddies, and get my moneys worth in power outta this turbo. Im getting the garret 67, water/meth, a tune from a shop upstate, custom fab intercooler, the works. but i have been trying to find a mild cam, rockers, pistons, a nice manley setup ya know. And im for sure keeping my headers, paid a pretty penny for them supermaxx's, sound damn good as well.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:21 AM
FrostKing
Professional

For rear mount, the stock cast iron manifolds work very well. Front mount Chevy's can flip one manifold and make the 2nd from sch. 40 steel. No such luck for us as the bolt patterns won't line up this way. By 'no water' I meant no water/meth injection. The stock 5.7 or 6.1 cams work well with boost and are hard to beat for turbo use until you decide to go for the 'next level'. The flat top stock pistons are already borderline too high compression so a dished piston is what's needed.

Water/methanol is injected directly into the intake manifold or before the throttle body. With it I will still hit around 1400*f at the track which isn't all too hot. Without it the EGT will shoot way past 1400* and melt down the motor. These hemi engines seem to run a 100* hotter or so than other engines I watched and it doesn't help that we can't reprogram our computers. (SCT,Diablo,Superchips,etc are hand-held tuners, not programmers and suck)

Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Well, thanks for clarifying that for me. Good to know.

Quick Reply: STS project