3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad bouncing on freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Ironsleeve318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably check out the Bilstein shocks right now rather than the Monroe Reflex shocks. They're being phased out and simply replaced with the standard sensatrac. I don't understand either because the reflex are an awesome shock.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

Cali freeways arn't as nice as other states.
You should drive down I-40 in oklahoma east of OKC. That is rough ride, even in a car.

If you can find them, used semi brake drums. They weigh about 85 lbs. I put three of them in mine and the ride is way better. Mines a regular cab too.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
s13_marine
Professional

I really dont want to weigh the ***-end down... probably going to just go with Bilstein HD's instead of the 5100's. They're a little softer. But, I was still thinking about pullingout that overload leaf anyways... anyone have have negative results with that? I know the lowered guys do it alot.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 AM
s13_marine
Professional

Anyone?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM
tlawre87
Veteran

you could do that, but just remember you are going to take away from the capability without that leaf. I do think it'll help your ride out though.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

s13, I'm assuming by your screen name that you are/were a marine and you don't understand the physics of weight relational recoil absorption?

Yeah, the stock shocks suck and don't last, therefor should be replaced, and will make the ride better, but the most efficient way to counter the vibration (if being caused by the road, as suspected) is to introduce a mass to absorb that vibration.

You should be well versed in the fundamentals of MgVg = MbVb and Vg = Pb/Mg = 2.2 m/s. Which, of course, explains primary and secondary recoil.

In the case of your truck, the vibrations will continue unless the momentum is interrupted (or absorbed) by an outside force (ie: the weight of the sand).

Trucks must be made for ride comfort under load and thus, there are trade-offs when the bed is empty. These trade offs become annoyingly evident if the surface you are driving on imparts a sectional vibration.

Try a small amount of energy absorbing weight (sand would work better than say, dumbbells because the sand molecules are less dense and will not reflect a large portion of the energy but instead absorb most of it) and along with decent shocks, you see if it doesn't make the ride better.

Sand is cheap, if you don't find you like to haul it around, you can always make some kids day by filling his sand box...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
s13_marine
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
s13, I'm assuming by your screen name that you are/were a marine and you don't understand the physics of weight relational recoil absorption?

Yeah, the stock shocks suck and don't last, therefor should be replaced, and will make the ride better, but the most efficient way to counter the vibration (if being caused by the road, as suspected) is to introduce a mass to absorb that vibration.

You should be well versed in the fundamentals of MgVg = MbVb and Vg = Pb/Mg = 2.2 m/s. Which, of course, explains primary and secondary recoil.

In the case of your truck, the vibrations will continue unless the momentum is interrupted (or absorbed) by an outside force (ie: the weight of the sand).

Trucks must be made for ride comfort under load and thus, there are trade-offs when the bed is empty. These trade offs become annoyingly evident if the surface you are driving on imparts a sectional vibration.

Try a small amount of energy absorbing weight (sand would work better than say, dumbbells because the sand molecules are less dense and will not reflect a large portion of the energy but instead absorb most of it) and along with decent shocks, you see if it doesn't make the ride better.

Sand is cheap, if you don't find you like to haul it around, you can always make some kids day by filling his sand box...
Yes, i am in fact a Marine... how that directly relates to my lack of knowledge of "the physics of weight relational recoil absorption" I have no idea. But I can assume that the average male my age wouldn't understand that sh*t, military or civilian. Just because I have delt with and can handle recoil from a weapon doesn't mean I "should well versed in the fundamentals of MgVg = MbVb and Vg = Pb/Mg = 2.2 m/s". You should start teaching a community college course, and maybe if you're lucky, i'll show up.

I get it, the truck was designed to be comfortable when loaded... and since I drive the truck all the time without a load, it is way lighter in the *** end, thus causing it to bounce because there is not any weight to absorb or counteract the upward movement.... My thoughts were that if I took out the overload spring, since I don't tow anyways, it would reduce the upward movement and not cause the rear-end "hop" so much.

I'm sure the shocks are bad, they are going to be replaced. I'm trying to further improve ride quality without having to put sandbags in the bed.

Last edited by s13_marine; 11-10-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Don't get me wrong here, s13, I was in no way trying to belittle you, just trying to put it into the perspective of a fellow shooter. I had to sit and learn the physics part of it during a class to be a certified instructor and basically assumed the military gave similar weapons classes. They probably do, but just to those interested in becoming armorers.

Personally, I think the effect of removing the overload springs would be minimal, at best. But if you tried it and didn't like it, it would take no more effort to put them back on than taking them off will.
If the shocks don't remedy the situation to your satisfaction (and again, I think it will make it better, but not get rid of it completely), try it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-10-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
s13_marine
Professional

I got ya hammer... We have stuff like that, but us Marines dont usually have that large of an attention span to sit through a class without pictures, let alone one involving formulas. haha

I'm gonna do both, see what happens.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The reason I suggested the sand, was it has always been an automatic with truck owners in the extreme north in winter. Not only did the weight keep the tire tread planted better and you could spread the sand for traction if you did happen to get stuck, but a side benefit was also a smoother ride.

Hell, I grew up with a lot of guys never removed it in summer for that reason...

Quick Reply: Bad bouncing on freeway...