3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How weak are the radiators on the 4.7???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 AM
BLUETHUNDER_06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How weak are the radiators on the 4.7???

Further to my earlier thread on coolant loss,i have found the leak to be coming from the end cap on the drivers side of the radiator. It hardly leaks when at idle. But when you rev it spurts out like a lawn sprinkler. I have also noticed that with the rad cap removed the return pipe from the rad is constantly feeding water back in to the expansion tank. But none is coming out of the over flow. Is this normal????.

Ive read some of the storys on head gasket failure which has scared me a little. Checked the dipstick. Oil is as fresh as the day it was put in. And no white smoke from the muffler. Temp gauge remains just below the half. And never moves from this spot.

If a head gasket was to go. Then surely the weakest point would either be in to the oil or out the muffler rather than through the rad???

Any help most appreciated.

Regards Mark

Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radiator failures are not uncommon, replace it with a good all-aluminum model. A common cause is a T-stat failure, where is fails to open and heat and pressure build in the system and cause a leak at the weakest point, which is usually the plastic side of the radiator. A good radiator and a fail-open T-stat like a Jet brand one will probably cure your problem. If it's leaking as bad as you say that it's only a matter of time before the radiator completely fails and overheats the engine.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyro
Radiator failures are not uncommon, replace it with a good all-aluminum model. A common cause is a T-stat failure, where is fails to open and heat and pressure build in the system and cause a leak at the weakest point, which is usually the plastic side of the radiator. A good radiator and a fail-open T-stat like a Jet brand one will probably cure your problem. If it's leaking as bad as you say that it's only a matter of time before the radiator completely fails and overheats the engine.
Ha, ha, ha... Was watchin' this thread waitin' for you to respond. Still remember the day you called and said your water broke!!!

Get you a Flex-A-Lite radiator, most impressive SOB I've ever seen. Not the cheapest out there though.

Most even come with a Flex-A-Lite e-fan attached to 'em. Two birds, as it were...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 AM
gmb4fords
Veteran

my "water just broke" yesterday!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
BLUETHUNDER_06

Thanks for the advice given.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you change it yourself, You really should, it's so easy, be sure to make sure all the air is out of the system. I tried my best but I took it around the block and there was a airpocket in the coolant system which made the engine over heat, but no big deal. Just start the engine and open the filler cap on the coolant tank.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
1LowRam
Professional

Wow, I signed on to search for radiator problems. Mine is also leaking from the driverside end tank. I thought about getting the replacement from LMC. Anyone else got a recomendation? How much is the Flex going for?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

X3 on the leak on the drivers side bottom end cap. These rads really are junk. I have even read about people having to replace the new one multiple times.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
1LowRam
Professional

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
X3 on the leak on the drivers side bottom end cap. These rads really are junk. I have even read about people having to replace the new one multiple times.
That may be due to the thermostat.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Kamel87
Professional

when my radiator took a crap on my i told my dad. well he decided to buy one and so did i so i have an extra radiator taking up room in my garage i have a '03 4.7l if it fits and you want it pm me

Quick Reply: How weak are the radiators on the 4.7???