3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Lid Solid Fold Tonneau Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010 | 04:18 PM
HemiTO
Amateur

Seems like an old thread but if you're still looking I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. First off, don't pay attention to the ads that say you'll save up to 10% in gas... little if any gas savings. Secondly, my sister's hubby has the retrax, says its not very waterproof and its hard to use in the winter (I'm assuming Canadian and Colorado winters to be similar). Also, the drum it rolls into takes up enough space. Lastly, I had the fold-a-cover LS (same as the mopar folding tonneau) on my 08 ram QC and can say that IF you install it properly you can drive through just about anything and the bed stays almost bone dry. As well, no storage drum to get in the way, the cover folds and stacks upward so you can use the full length of the bed. It locks, doesn't rattle and IMHO is the best of all worlds regarding security, dryness and utility as it takes about 3 minutes to take off the panel assembly and use the whole bed.

Old 07-08-2010 | 04:00 PM
red04hemi

I decided to piggyback on this thread instead of starting yet another Tonneau thread...I found a Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau cover does anyone have any experience with those?

Old 07-09-2010 | 01:10 PM
HemiTO
Amateur

Originally Posted by red04hemi
I decided to piggyback on this thread instead of starting yet another Tonneau thread...I found a Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau cover does anyone have any experience with those?
Thats funny, the Extang Classic Platinum is the first tonneau I owned back on my 98 Dakota. It was pretty decent overall but was a PITA rolling up then snapping back but it did its primary job of keeping things secured underneath and mostly dry. As I mentioned in my post above I am a big fan of the folding hard tonneau, still deciding between the Mopar fold-a-cover and the Extang solid-fold. If you're set on the vinyl type, I would seriously look at the Extang trifecta (folding) as opposed to the Classic (roll-up/snap) version unless you're not going to be opening and closing it much.

Old 07-09-2010 | 01:33 PM
casper3380
Veteran

I liked the Hard tonneau one piece so i went with a leer 700 color matched. i love it. gives me a huge trunk.

Quick Reply: Hard Lid Solid Fold Tonneau Covers?