3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OEM Keyless Entry Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
sherfield2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Keyless Entry Question

I bought a used 02 QC SLT about a week ago. It has power locks, s i assumed it would have keyless entry, but was just missing the fob. So, I ordered a fob on ebay. I took the fob to be programmed at the delaership today, and they hooked the truck up to a computer (OBD2) to program the remote. Long story short they couldn't get it to program. Turns out that they say my truck never had keyless entry. However they used the computer to get all the way to where they have to hold down the buttons on the fob to program it. I would think that if the truck didn't have keyless entry to begin with then they couldn't have gotten so far in the process. Does anyone on here know anything about the factory keyless entry system?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to have a premium BCM. Premium BCM's come with keyless entry, factory steering wheel radio controls or factory fog lights. Any one of these should mean a premium BCM. If you don't have any of these (which with an SLT, I would think you would) then you will have to replace it.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Grauwulf

I am in the same boat as you are, I have an 02 Ram 100 Sport that was advertised as having keyless, but came with no fobs and when the dealer went to program it, same deal. It's odd because my truck has factory foglights, and is fairly loaded except for the heated leather seats, EVIC/Homelink and premium stereo. But no keyless. Anyhow, there is a kit you can get from the parts counter that has the module and two key fobs with it, that plugs in to the back of the BCM/Instrument Cluster. Still has to be programmed by the dealer, but it's better than screwing around with an aftermarket system. The part number they gave me was 82207153.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops, I see the site is still dragging a bit. Does your truck have locks in both front doors? If so, it's not keyless entry. Keyless entry trucks only have the lock on the driver's side.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:05 AM
05RamMan
Captain

Even if you have the Premium BCM you still need the reception unit. The easy way to find out is to send your vin via email and have them give you a build sheet. The build sheet will tell you if you have the keyless entry or not.

Personally the oem keyless entry sucks and if you don't have that you are lucky to no have sentry. go spend a 100 bucks and get a keyless entry/remote start installed they are alot better.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM
sherfield2002

I actually have a build sheet now. Keyless entry is not listed on it, but it does have some option packages, like the convenience group. Does this package include keyless entry? Or do any other option package include keylles entry?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Grauwulf

Nope, I asked that same question of the dealer and they said it should be a separate line on the build sheet. Sounds like you and I may have very similarly equipped trucks. My preference is for the OEM system vs an aftermarket, I've never had very good luck with aftermarket keyless entry systems or remote start systems.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
sherfield2002

I can install an aftermarket system pretty easily, but I wanted to try this first. I figured an OEM remote for $20 would be easier than buying and installing an aftermarket system.

Quick Reply: OEM Keyless Entry Question