3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck feels boggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
It's just not really worth the time and hassle for me to be doing this stuff myself. Usually save about $100 or so doing it yourself and sometimes the job goes on two or three days because you don't have all day to work on it like the dealership does. If I didn't have the warranty I may have done it myself, but I usually have so many other things I have to be doing on my free time that staying stationary working on my truck all day is nearly impractical. With this said, however, I always find time to keep the interior and exterior in immaculate condition at all times lol.
You would have saved a lot more than $100. You paid $420, the plugs cost me $32 when I bought mine, PCV is $29, oil and filter is $40. So total you got $101 worth of parts and fluids. All the checking that you mentioned would have cost you nothing to do yourself. Everything you listed on there would not take you two or three days, more like a few hours. So if you put in a few hours of your time you could have saved about $320. There is the money for the headers or the intake or the Diablo that you mentioned in your original post that you wanted but don't have the money for. And as far as the warranty goes, you can 100% do the work yourself and not void your warranty.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
05RamMan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im guilty of not fully reading. I was thinking full 30K mile tune up. Diff fluids and gaskets, Trans Axle and tranny fluids with filters, And personally I like to also do full coolant flush also.

But really its moot, He got his service and is happy. Personally I can't blame him for going to a service center, If I had the money Id do it just to be lazy, lol. But now that my wife knows I can do this myself I have no choice, lol. At least when I do it I have access to a full shop.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 05RamMan
Im guilty of not fully reading. I was thinking full 30K mile tune up. Diff fluids and gaskets, Trans Axle and tranny fluids with filters, And personally I like to also do full coolant flush also.

But really its moot, He got his service and is happy. Personally I can't blame him for going to a service center
I guess, it just makes we wonder when he says that he doesn't have money for the mods he wants then spends an additional $300 on things that almost anyone can do for themselves. But like you said, if he is happy paying to get it done then that is all that really matters since it is his $.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i agree with teach on this matter i do all my own stuff to save that money.it could be used elsewhere. i have a wedding in the works a 8yr old son and all my bills so where ever i can save i save...and i get the self satisfaction to know i did it and i trust myself more than wretched shops... i know this guy has had alot of issues with mech's around his area i'd be skeptic....just a matter of opinion.....

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by jusjay727
i do all my own stuff to save that money
Same here, I have always done everything I can myself. Just can't see paying someone to do something that I can do.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:35 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of people guys, because for the most part, people just suck. I can already picture the warranty place asking for documentation about the tune-up services I have had done, and when I tell them I did it myself, they could find a way to say that I caused the problem because I didn't turn the spark plugs to such and such a spec, or didn't use the right kind of gasket or fluid....the list goes on. For every 30,000 miles coughing up $700 on an all around maintenance run doesn't seem that bad, and I now have all the paper work stored in a file showing when and where I had certain things done to the truck. I plan to sell this truck around 85,000 miles so I just want it to be in perfect condition by the time I sell it and it will have 15,000 miles left on the warranty. I want the tuner and intake but I've decided against it. It just makes parting with a vehicle that much harder to do when it comes time to selling it because you look at your vehicle and see all of the money you have inside of it and feels like somebody is just taking your baby from you lol.

Quick Reply: My truck feels boggy