3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

have I been taken?!? or am I just missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 09:38 PM
pjgrayson
|
Default have I been taken?!? or am I just missing something?

let me start with saying I've loved poking around on these forums for some time now and can usually find the answers to all my questions, but I'm stumped. And now I'm wondering if I got taken for a loop at the stealership.

2003 1500 Ram 4.7 RWD Quadcab

Timeline:

1 month ago my speedometer and ABS lights started acting up. Did some research and saw the rear diff. speed sensor as a common problem. Switched that out. It got better, but still when I hit a big bump or something it would light up the ABS light.

1 week ago the speedometer just quick working. ABS light on permanently now. As well as the check engine light. Throwing code P0501 (speed sensor issue).

Tonight, went back and replaced the rear diff. speed sensor again hoping for just a faulty part. Didn't change a thing. Pulled the front driver's wheel off to take a peek at the front hub speed sensor. There was NONE. No sensor, no spot for a sensor, and absolutely NO electrical cords going to the front axle anywhere.

So what's the deal here? Did I get hosed at the stealership when I bought this thing? Why are there no sensors on the front wheels? or is there such thing as no speed sensor on the front hubs for some trucks? Hayne's manual says yes, ever truck should have three sensors - one on the rear diff., one on each front wheel.

Is there a speed sensor on the transmission anywhere? And I've seen something about water in the ABS module. How the heck do I clean that??

Thanks in advance. I know you guys will come through. Anything would be a huge help. I'm at my wits end.

Old 11-18-2009 | 01:36 AM
snidehockey
Rookie

I'm surprised no one's chimed in at all...unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I CAN tell you that Haynes manuals are far from fact. I was dropping a new Stang engine into mt gt last year and wasted more time from flat out false info in the haynes. I'd probably test the wiring back to the rear dif sensor though...

Free bump anyway.

Old 11-18-2009 | 03:47 AM
abarmby
Champion

4Wheel ABS is an option so you might not have it.
As for your code and problem????
Al.

Old 11-18-2009 | 07:03 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Yep, sounds like you don't have four-wheel ABS. Also, Haynes manuals are useful only if you have a bird. Chilton's are no better. You might try resetting the PCM.

Old 11-18-2009 | 09:00 AM
pjgrayson
|

I will try resetting the PCM today. However, a little reading on the forum says resetting the PCM won't clear a CEL or codes. Any more ideas? Anyone?

Old 11-18-2009 | 09:37 AM
kjun
Professional

Disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and reconnecting should reset the light. However it will more than likely come back on if the problem still exists.

As far as your sensors, I doubt you've been had by the dealer. Like mentioned you probably don't have the 4Wheel ABS option. And yes there should be a speed sensor on the tranny but probably not your problem. It does not feed in to the speedometer or ABS system and is more for engine/tranny control. Its code is P0720.

For P0501, that should be the vehicle speed sensor (rear axle) circuit failure. Since you've replaced it twice, unlikely its the actual sensor itself. I would start to trace wiring from the sensor and look for frays or cuts. Beyond that I would think it would be a glitch in one of the modules which is way beyond my expertise.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2009 | 05:00 PM
pjgrayson
|

what about water in the ABS module? could that do this? and if so, how do I air it out?

Old 01-10-2015 | 07:25 PM
bayoudevil
Default 2005 Ram. same thing

I have changer every sensor for the vehicle speed. Still I have no speedometer, abs and brake light stay on along with check engine light. I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram to go by to check for a shorted wire. I am about feed up with it and feel I may return it to the dealer. They have had the vehicle seven times and every time they say it is fixed but it does it again or I don't even get out of the parking lot before it stops working. Yes , seven times between three different dealerships.

Old 01-10-2015 | 07:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

What's the code from the check engine light? Welcome to the forum and it would have been better to start your own thread rather than bumping a 6 year old thread.

Old 01-10-2015 | 07:51 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

What you need is the FSM for your truck, it is the road map to your problem, I'd look into the FCM to start with jmho

Quick Reply: have I been taken?!? or am I just missing something?