3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.10's and DTT installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:13 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodge_cowboy2004
what kind of lube did the shop use?
I provided amsoil severe gear so it should be more than adequate. I got the gears, DTT, and master install kit from Moesperformance as a package for like 780 I think, here's the link http://moesperformance.com/index.php...oducts_id=9046

Laramie I've heard both that they can whine a little and they shouldn't whine at all. I tried to talk to the shop b/c I took it over there and told them about the whine the day after the install and they pulled the cover and tightened something up. They said the wear pattern looked good, but what they said that scared me was that they set the back lash at .004. From motive's specs it should be .007-.009 and dodge specs say .005-.008, I think. I tried to talk the shop owner into pulling it open again and setting it up that way but he said .004 is the info they had from when they looked it up. If it fails the cost of the gears and labor are on them b/c I tried to get them to pull it back open and re-set the back lash and they didn't want to.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Dodge_cowboy2004
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang it...moe told me awhile ago that the didnt have anything for our rear ends...that tard...im head'n over to his shop 1st thing monday.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

I'm pretty sure the DTT and gears were shipped straight from the manufacturer, but I could be wrong. Anyway I finished my 500 mile break in period today and am going on Monday to have the shop make an adjustment b/c the truck is clunking a little when I shift into 1st after coming to a stop. Not sure what they changed last time but it didn't effect the whine and apparently caused this new clunk so I guess they need to change it back.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge_cowboy2004
Laramie...come on over and put my 4:10 in...I alread have the rear end out from under the truck.
If I still had the tools to do it and the free time to clear our race car off the rack, I'd tell ya just to come on down here with a case of beer.

Right now we're right in the middle of dropping a 502 in a Trans-AM so the garage is a complete mess.... Ah the smell of burning Alcohol.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Dodge_cowboy2004
Veteran

thats alright man....we got a 505 6 pack to pop in a 69 Roadrunner...so i know what your going through.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

take chamber's advice dude...find a reputable shop. i called the best exhaust shop on this side of the state to ask where to go, the old man told me exactly where to go. from there, the installer provided answers to all my questions.

he's the one that said get US Gear and not to get motive (so, all my motive knowledge comes from him). and the posi he had sitting around the shop, and he gave it to me for like $300...same price as the ring/pinion. he warranties it for 2 years...and all they do is transmission/read end. they don't even do the driveshafts or anything. a few guys with transmissions on tables with nuts/bolts/o-rings and crap everything. then one guy (owner of shop) does all the gearing/installing. he says they do at least 5 rear ends a week.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
eltupac
All Star

Let me know what they said at the shop. I am thinking on going 4.10s but dont want the hassle of going back and forth due to whining. My buddie here did it to his truck and the whining was bad. The shop tried 2 times to fix it and could not. My truck has stock 3.21 and it is horrible at take off. It bounces up and down when I floor it and then picks up speed.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

eltupac. did your friend get motives? like i said, what my shop told me was that they were bottom tier and they wouldn't warranty it. the shop i went to only uses USGear for their rings. that's my advice. make no noise at all.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well mine still whine at 45-55 when I am off the throttle or on it lightly. It's not loud but it's noticeable. Definitely find a good shop to do the install and check out the poll in the "gear noise" thread on dodge talk where there are 30 people who have whine and 13 who don't, all w/ motive gears. There are also plenty of posts on mustang forums about whine from motives as well. I can't speak for the long term as to whether it's going to get worse, but for something this expensive it's wise just to spend a bit extra to know it will be right.

I went to the shop bright and early this morning to have some tires dismounted and switched to other wheels and I had them change the gear oil and check everything to see how it looked. They said that everything looked normal and the wear pattern was good and checked the pinion backlash which is now at .007. No problems to report other than that I can no longer break the tires loose w/ the DTT in there on dry pavement. The 4.10's seem to have given the truck some nice grunt and good acceleration.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM
eltupac
All Star

He says he got the cheapest, so it could have been motive. I hate bouncing at take off.

Quick Reply: 4.10's and DTT installed