3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.10's and DTT installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It hasn't really gotten worse, but I haven't been driving much. I've checked the u joints and pretty much everything else that I could. I drove it the other day and got stuck behind a school bus so every time I stopped and put it into gear...clunk. It got on my nerves so I'm gonna get a second opinion from a transmission shop when I get some time to take it over there. I think it's just that there is some slack in the drivetrain and I would like for it to be adjusted out if possible.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well today I took it to a transmission shop and they said the ring and pinion were not set up correctly. They said the pattern wasn't right, the pinion depth was off, and the ring gear may be warped. It's back at the shop that installed them and they are gonna take a look at it tomorrow. I see 2 outcomes here:
1. the ring gear is warped, who is gonna cover the labor for the install of a new one? Motive or the shop b/c they didn't notice it was warped.
2. It's not set up properly and needs to be pulled apart and redone.

The latter really being the best b/c that way I won't be sitting around waiting for a replacement ring and pinion from motive w/ no vehicle. So the lesson is find the best and most experienced rear end shop you can to do your gears.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
wyseguy77
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
Well today I took it to a transmission shop and they said the ring and pinion were not set up correctly. They said the pattern wasn't right, the pinion depth was off, and the ring gear may be warped. It's back at the shop that installed them and they are gonna take a look at it tomorrow. I see 2 outcomes here:
1. the ring gear is warped, who is gonna cover the labor for the install of a new one? Motive or the shop b/c they didn't notice it was warped.
2. It's not set up properly and needs to be pulled apart and redone.

The latter really being the best b/c that way I won't be sitting around waiting for a replacement ring and pinion from motive w/ no vehicle. So the lesson is find the best and most experienced rear end shop you can to do your gears.

Man that sucks. I'm sorry.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well today I got the truck back. They said they took it all apart and re-shimmed the pinion gear and got the wear pattern looking good. I couldn't be there b/c I was working, but hopefully they got it right this time. Re-gearing is not a mod to take lightly, if you choose to do this make sure you find a shop that can handle the job.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
chambers
Record Breaker

Update: The rear end is whining worse than before and over a larger range of speed and the clunk is still there. I guess I'll have to take it back to them and let them know if they can't get it right this time that I will need my money back, so I can take it somewhere else to get it done. I'm starting to think my best bet may be the dealer, anyone got any better ideas?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read the Chrysler 9.25 is hard to set up, and it looks like it's true. I'd say you find a shop who has experience with the 9.25. A dealer would be my last resort.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well I was taking it up to the shop trying to reproduce the annoying whining it was doing yesterday and I couldn't get it to do it as bad so I just came home. I'm wondering if it was just whining more yesterday b/c I had it on the highway for like 20 mins. @ 72mph and it got too hot. It still does it over the same speed range (45-65), but it's really worst at around 50 mph. I'm gonna give it a couple weeks of driving and if it doesn't get worse and looks good when I change the oil again I'll let it ride.

Quick Reply: 4.10's and DTT installed