3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gimme Help With Wifey

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
disturbedgator
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimme Help With Wifey

Ok I like my truck, used to love it, now i just like it. I work for a shop that does work for a gas well drilling company. Basically we fix their F'd up trucks that are mostly diesels. We work on mostly fords(lol), but they use duramax and cummins too.And thats how I fell in love with diesels. I want a mega cab CTD hopefully with a 6.9, but i can deal with a 5.9. Trans has to be a auto cuz wife wont learn to drive a stick. We have the money collectively to take the hit on my truck for a 06+ CTD. But we're about to have a lil one and Im coming up short with reasons to get a diesel. Ive already done the gas mileage, and that swayed her a lil. But I need more ammo! Give me some ideas to sway my bett(cough) other-half!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well with the little one on the way, the mega cab is a bit larger for the toys and diaper bag, just have her sit in the back seat, she is going to love the room when she is back there keeping an eye on the little one during trips. during feedings if you are on the road

Old 11-21-2009, 11:58 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, if you already have a little one on the way, I don't know how I can help you with the wife

As for talking her into the truck, well there will be more room for the kiddo to ride in comfort and she would be more comfortable back there with the kiddo while you are driving. A diesel will get better mileage than a gasser.

just don't mention that the a/c seems to suck in the megacab from what I have read on here and the basic maintenance on a diesel is more expensive than a gasser.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by lxman1
Well, if you already have a little one on the way, I don't know how I can help you with the wife

As for talking her into the truck, well there will be more room for the kiddo to ride in comfort and she would be more comfortable back there with the kiddo while you are driving. A diesel will get better mileage than a gasser.

just don't mention that the a/c seems to suck in the megacab from what I have read on here and the basic maintenance on a diesel is more expensive than a gasser.
^^ what he said. an also diesels last longer.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:28 AM
4matty3
Captain

isnt the 5.9 the best engine. my brother just sold his ford and now is getting mega cab 6 speed, black

Old 11-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, first off, there is no such thing as a 6.9. There is the 5.9 and the 6.7.
Things to argue in favor of a diesel:
- MPGs are considerably higher compared to a gas motor
- Over time, the Fuel cost to MPG ratio will be better than a gasser even when diesel is higher
- They maintain their value VERY well if you take care of them.
- When you want to mod, power adders will be more, but in the long run it will take MUCH less to make them a power house. (Usually get MPG improvement from power adders as well)
- Let's face it, the sound and look is Bada$$!

Things that make diesels look bad

- General cost is higher
- Fuel costs more at the pump (Refer to the fuel in the pro section)
- Maintenance costs more
- Insurance will be more
- Property taxes will be more
- Hippies might bitch that they aren't clean
- People may think you are compensating for a lack of something else
- Unless you plan on actually using a diesel to tow or haul, it's a waste of money IMO. You never really will use it to it's potential.

Just my .02 cents.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 AM
disturbedgator
Captain

sorry for the 6.9-7 mis-type. Maintenance is not an issue, like I said i work at a shop that services these diesels everyday. I just put a new fuel pump and powersteering pump in a customers clean *** 89 k2500. Thats what i want, something that will last a life time. I tow ALOT, soon to be towin a 27 foot fountain with twin 250 yamas. Offroad alot, actually just got back from wheeling and im tired of havin to take brakes for 4.7 to cool off even with the efan mod. basically shes sees me using my truck as a truck now even though it struggles, I take care of all my vehicles and now Ive got some more ammo to fuel the fire. WE need a diesel and she just has to suck it up.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

The 5.9's are basically bullet proof, they'll last forever.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Longevity alone is a big enough reason. Diesels, especially the 5.9 CTD, has an average life expectancy that is roughly 3x the miles that you can get out of a V8 gas engine.

I've had one, but couldn't really justify the extra $17k they wanted for a new QCSB 4x4 when I bought mine in '04. Especially when the sticker price difference was only $9k!
(rebates and dealer discounts on the 1500s that were not available for the 2500s or CTDs)

Even with the trips from Fl to GA to goto the farm, I still average less than 10k miles a year, the heaviest thing I tow regularly was my bass boat (all of 2300 lbs.) and I've sold it.
So I couldn't justify one for myself. But if you tow, haul or put high mileage (20k miles a year or more) you are a prime candidate for a diesel.

The only real downsides are: Maintenance costs are high, even if you do all your own labor. Hell, forgetting that the avg. diesel part is about 10x the cost of a gas counterpart, oil changes alone require 15 quarts. Also, if you do go off-road as you say, keep in mind the front end of that truck is heavy, REALLY HEAVY! It WILL bury itself in sand or mud! Pulled more than one diesel truck out that got stuck because it plowed itself down, head first, in areas gasser 4x4s made it thru with ease...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-22-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional

get a 5.9 cant beat it. cousins got an 07 3500 with 5.9 one of the last years made. We switch his 22.5s yesterday with the same exact trucks 35 mud grapplers but the other guy has the 6.7 and he said he would take a 5.9 over his 6.7 any day. mega cab of course more room and just looks better...

Quick Reply: Gimme Help With Wifey