3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help...Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM
05ramHEMI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...Tranny issues

Alright guys, I have a problem I hope you can help with. I have a 05 Ram Quad Cab 4x4. I noticed about a month ago a real low "wining" when a load is put on the tranny. The "wining" I would say sounds like ut has a supercharger on it or something, very strange. It is not the front end or rear end because the "wining" follows the RPM. When the truck is in neutral and reved you cant hear anything but, when you put it into gear and put your foot on the gas it is apparent. Even if you put the truck into gear, put your foot on the brake and give enough gas to put a load on the tranny you can hear it.

The truck does not shift imporperly, the level of tranny fluid looks good and the fluid does not smell burnt. There is no change in driveability other than as of late the noise has become a little more apparent.

Oh, and once you are at highway speed it doesnt make the noise, or at least you cant hear it.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be. I had my Uncle, a mechanic, drive it and listen to it and he said without hooking it to a computer to see if it was giving a code he would have to check the forums becuase he couldnt say what it was. Help, please.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a sound system in your truck? are your rca run under the carpet near your powerwire for the amp(s)? i have heard vehicles with a whine from them and this being the reason.....and they had thought it was something far worse.....

Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM
JOHNSN10
Captain

Ive also heard of a whine noise from rca/power cables to amps

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

I have a feeling its not the trans. take the belt off the front and see if you can replicate the sound with the belt off. you can run for a little bit with no belt, but you own't have power steering and you won't be recharging the battery, so make it quick. If no sound, then the problem is not your transmission.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 AM
05ramHEMI

xfeejayx...to refresh my memory is there a protion of the accessories that only engage when the truck is in gear.?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
05ramHEMI

Ok...so it is not the stereo and it is not the belt. It still only does it when the truck is in gear. Could it be a pump inside the transmission?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

Yah my truck does the same thing to..

Quick Reply: Need help...Tranny issues