3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Question/Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep....you need a 9007 kit for your headlights and a 9006 for your fogs. 6000k is as close to pure white light as you can get. When looking at the truck from head-on, they do have a slight blue'ish tint to them, but when in the truck looking at the road, they're pretty much white. 4300k is a little on the yellow side...sort of like a regular halogen bulb, but obviously the HIDs would be way brighter. 8000k is pretty blue. 10000k is really blue/purple. 12000k is purple.

I have 6000k's and couldn't be happier

Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM
rochefort978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah.. SilverBullet has pics of his 6k lights and they look good! Do they really improve the vision over stock? Also I am wanting to add the lights behind the grille.. On mine i have bolts on both sides so I'm thinking I could make a bracket for the lights and mount them on that. They are spaced pretty far apart so I guess that is good from what I have read..

Old 11-26-2009, 05:44 PM
spinfreak
Professional

Originally Posted by rochefort978
Yeah.. SilverBullet has pics of his 6k lights and they look good! Do they really improve the vision over stock?
Hands down, WAY better than stock bulbs. Everyone always thinks I have my high beams on. LOL. One of the best mods I have ever made on my truck.

Originally Posted by rochefort978
Also I am wanting to add the lights behind the grille.. On mine i have bolts on both sides so I'm thinking I could make a bracket for the lights and mount them on that. They are spaced pretty far apart so I guess that is good from what I have read..
I have mine mounted on the crossmember right there in front of the radiator. It's pretty thin metal, so it's very easy to drill holes to mount the lights. I don't know which bolts you're talking about, but if you'd need to fabricate a bracket, it would probably be easier to just drill a hole on the crossmember. As long as the hood doesn't block the light though, you're good to go.

On a side note, as I mentioned, I have HIDs in my heads and fogs. In my Hella's mounted behind the grille, right now they are just regular bulbs. I have Hella's with HIDs on order and they should be here soon. I can't wait to have 6 HID bulbs on the front of my truck pretty soon. It already looks like a train is coming down the road with all of them on. I can't even imagine it soon.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 PM
rochefort978
Professional

Originally Posted by spinfreak
Hands down, WAY better than stock bulbs. Everyone always thinks I have my high beams on. LOL. One of the best mods I have ever made on my truck.

I have mine mounted on the crossmember right there in front of the radiator. It's pretty thin metal, so it's very easy to drill holes to mount the lights. I don't know which bolts you're talking about, but if you'd need to fabricate a bracket, it would probably be easier to just drill a hole on the crossmember. As long as the hood doesn't block the light though, you're good to go.

On a side note, as I mentioned, I have HIDs in my heads and fogs. In my Hella's mounted behind the grille, right now they are just regular bulbs. I have Hella's with HIDs on order and they should be here soon. I can't wait to have 6 HID bulbs on the front of my truck pretty soon. It already looks like a train is coming down the road with all of them on. I can't even imagine it soon.

Nice! Yeah I think the crossmember you are talking about is what I am talking about as well. But on the very outside on each side there are 2 bolts going through. I didn't look too much as to what they go to.. But how far apart did you space your lights behind the grille?

Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 PM
spinfreak
Professional

Mine are pretty much centered inside each half of the grille. Since the heads and fogs are already spaced out far enough, I didn't want the Hellas to be too far apart.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM
explorer9950
Veteran

I just ordered a set of 10K for my heads for my 07... I will let you know how blue the are and the level of brightness...I ordered from HIDextra, I have only heard good things about them, so we will see...

Old 11-27-2009, 10:01 AM
rochefort978
Professional

Awesome! Lots of people have the 6k on here I am finding. I rarely ever see anyone with the HID setup around here in Michigan. Guess people are boring around here or something??

Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think most of us use 6k because it puts out the most light with still some blue and not compromising light output loss.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spinfreak
This is because you are blinding people with excessive glare that HID puts off when installed in reflective halogen housings. You need to aim your lights down a bit.

Originally Posted by Explorer9950
I just ordered a set of 10K for my heads for my 07...

10,000k = very blue w/tints of green going int purple. Only 2200lumes of output compared to 4300k OEM that produces 3200lumens. Still brighter than halogen high beams at 1700lumens, but you may be dissapointed? Also, blue light is tough on the eyes and blue light is not useable light. Even with 2200lumens, blue light won't travel as far and you will get reduced light.

FYI
5000k has ~8% reduced light compared to 4100-4300k
6000k has ~12% reduced light compared to 4100-4300k
8000k has ~22% reduced light compared to 4100-4300k
10000k has ~30% reduced light compared to 4100-4300k

Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
spinfreak
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
This is because you are blinding people with excessive glare that HID puts off when installed in reflective halogen housings. You need to aim your lights down a bit.
But that's no fun

Actually though, I did aim them down some. They're still just bright as hell. I do need to go down just a tad bit more though