3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Comp Cams Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
teach, what are you looking for with the custom grind?
I am going for as much low end as I can get out of my truck and still run it on SC.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The 260 is a very solid cam, I considered it before deciding on (yet to be installed) KRC 210. With the custom grind at -4 on the KRC it has crazy low end torque numbers. Down side (and my stumbling block) with the KRC is it needs a custom tune (or piggyback controller).
What is your plan as far as getting that cam installed? Are you going to wait until one of the tuners like SCT or DS can offer trans control or are you going to piggyback on a SC?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find a comparison chart for cams for the 5.9 magnum? I've tried the search on here but it won't let me put in "5.9" or "cam", no three letter words. I've tried yahoo search with no luck also. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Last of the 5.9s
Does anyone know where I can find a comparison chart for cams for the 5.9 magnum? I've tried the search on here but it won't let me put in "5.9" or "cam", no three letter words. I've tried yahoo search with no luck also. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Here is a link to some cams that will work in the 5.9. If you search each one you will probably find some info about the power gains.

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...eyword=5.9+cam

Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Thanks Teach,

Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I am going for as much low end as I can get out of my truck and still run it on SC.
You should talk to stu about my grind. Pulls like a mule and runs great on SC. More tq than a sidewinder and idles better as well.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
You should talk to stu about my grind. Pulls like a mule and runs great on SC. More tq than a sidewinder and idles better as well.
Do you have the specs for your grind?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
What is your plan as far as getting that cam installed? Are you going to wait until one of the tuners like SCT or DS can offer trans control or are you going to piggyback on a SC?
I don't know yet to be honest. I've not rushed this because of the custom tune vs. no tranny support issue. With my basically quitting work to take care of the folks for over the past two years, money hasn't been there for extras either, so it was no big deal.
Now with my step dads passing and mom being cancer free for almost a year, I have got to get my a$$ back to work. Been doing some sonsulting work lately and I've got some prospects up home in Ga. for steady work that looks good after the first of the year.
So, I plan on having the cam in late winter/early spring at the latest. I guess if Diablo or SCT still aren't supporting '04 transmissions, then I'll look into the piggyback or SCT/SC stacking options...

Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I think i'm going to have to get some quotes for a cam install. this is starting to be too good to pass up.

Last edited by xfeejayx; 11-29-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
I think i'm going to have to get some quotes for a cam install. this is starting to be too good to pass up.
Hold on to your wallet. Cam install prices are usually pretty steep for our trucks, if you can even find someone to do it. The prices of installs at the shops that will do it is what drove me to find other guys who want to do change out cams so we can all get together at some point and knock out some cam installs. Otherwise I would have been waiting forever to save up enough for the isntall.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Comparison