3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My LSD Days Are Numbered..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LSD Days Are Numbered..

And I don't mean tabs or drops...
Look what I found when I pulled the cover off..

Then after pulling off the cap it looked like the race had been spinning inside...

And to top it off, the clip that came loose was digging right into the cap..

I left what was left of the clip out because I couldn't get it back in place, it probably wouldn't stay there anyway. I guess what my question is, is this a sign that my LSD is about to grenade? I have read that these 9.25's were known for going bad around 75k, I just turned 65k. And is it bad to drive it without any clip in place? It looks like it just keeps the slack out.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why Dodge has such a problem with LSD's in the rear end. Seems like they could build one halfway decent. Both the 2nd gens and 3rd gens were had this common problem. I think a LSD is a great thing to have in a truck but I don't know that I'd want one again if it was a factory one from Dodge.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get an Auburn!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Do I have time or is this a ticking bomb?? (sorry bout the pics guys, this camera sucks)

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what to tell you. In my 2001 I had a clip break off and I drove it quite a while like that but I'm not sure if it's the same clip or not and it probably could have ended with it blow up for me. I ended up replacing it with the Auburn as suggest above. However, I know for the second gens Detroit also made a great LSD I'm not sure if it fits the 3rd gens or not.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

Let me know what you do, whatever it may be. I am contemplating gears right now, and while they are out, I would like to change out the factory LSD. Not sure to what though. Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm thinking yes. Depends on how you drive and how fast it ticks.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 AM
abarmby
Champion

What are the other 3 clips like? There's 4 in there in total.
Whilst your in the pumpkin, pull the other 3 and button it ll back up.
She will run for thousands of miles (mine had 20K+ like that), whilst your saving for a DTT or Aurburn lsd unit.
Having said that though, was there any silver sparklies suspended in the diff oil from that shredded cap and bearing?
If so, you will have to do a thorough flush of the entire axel and hope the bearings haven't been contaminated, to the point of no return.
If all this is the case, do you have a warranty?
If so, take her in with the pics you took to show the Techy, and get them to do the full job properly.
Ie: new lsd, new bearings and seals etc.
If not under warranty, do a good flush & remove the remaining clips which WILL work out eventually and button it all back up. Save up for a new lsd, master rebuild kit and possibly new gears, as that's a great time to do all that as well.
Don't worry about running without the other clips. Mine was fine for ove 20,000 miles and the stock LSD still worked OK, giving some creedance to the fact that many people have said that these clips are only iused as an aid in the instalation of the clutch packs during assemble.
Hope this helps?
Al.
PS here's my DTT going in and pics of my "pumpkin surprise".
Name:  DTTadjusted.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  49.1 KB
Name:  adjusted2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  36.0 KB

Last edited by abarmby; 12-01-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Spelling and adding pictures.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the EXACT same thing wrong with mine and all my clips were broken and just like you, one was digging into the cap. It was under warranty and so i took it to dodge and do you know what they did? They changed the oil and say the flushed it out. I was pissed because I was expecting a new rear end. There was a ton of metal flakes in the oil and all they wanted to do was the cheapest and fasted thing they could. If my engine or trans had metal all in the oil I hate to think all they would want to do was change the oil.

Not too long afterwards I replaced the LSD with an Auburn.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I lost one of those clips in my 04. I drove it for another 20k before I traded it in. never had a problem.

Quick Reply: My LSD Days Are Numbered..