3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pulley.. Unsolvable..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:16 AM
rydesolow
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WhiteRam
Just wondering have you checked your belt tensioner??
Yeah unfortunately I wish it was that.. I put a brand new one in when I did the belt to be sure. What do you think rule of thumb would be for it? It holds it pretty tight, next to the tensioner its very tight, otherside of motor(next to PS pulley) you can grab the belt, and twist it almost half way(not over), does that sound about right? Or loose? I actually brought that up to the mech today at the shop and he said half way turn over was allright. But it's true, I thought maybe a new tensioner could tighten her up and solve some probs.. Ideas?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

the depth of the pulley is super critical. mark up the edges of the belt and you may be able to see which edge rubs. in the service manual it says to move it as little as .020"

Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM
02WhiteRam
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rydesolow
Yeah unfortunately I wish it was that.. I put a brand new one in when I did the belt to be sure. What do you think rule of thumb would be for it? It holds it pretty tight, next to the tensioner its very tight, otherside of motor(next to PS pulley) you can grab the belt, and twist it almost half way(not over), does that sound about right? Or loose? I actually brought that up to the mech today at the shop and he said half way turn over was allright. But it's true, I thought maybe a new tensioner could tighten her up and solve some probs.. Ideas?
Yeah, sounds like the tensioner is fine. Those pulleys have to be pretty much perfectly aligned or the belt will squeel.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:01 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rydesolow
They must of marked me up like mad then. The quote from Midas was $400 for the PS Pump + Pulley and install. Labor was only $80.
That's how they make their money. they get the stuff for the same price you woul) get it for(retail) and then they charge you List price. I used to work at Advance Auto years ago and the Monroe next door would always call up for parts. They would ask "their" price which is the same as customers price(retail) and then they would ask List price to charge the customer.
I always laughed when there was a set of rotors that a customer could have walked in to buy for $80 a pair and Monroe was charging $129 a piece PLUS the install labor.

I got a price at NAPA one time for a rear emergency brake line for my 2000 Silverado. NAPA didn't carry it so they called me back about 20min's later and said they ordered one from the dealer and the price was $89. I called up the same dealer and picked it up for $38. WTF! Trying to make that much off someone and they didn't have to anything but make a phone call as the dealer makes deliveries to them.

So, moral of the story is BUY all your crap first and then bring it in to have serviced rather than paying top dollar for the part and top dollar for the install.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

Yeah I feel ya man. I was a mechanic for goodyear for two years, and the parts I could buy direct were usually 30-60% cheaper then what we charged our customers. It's all a load of **** if you ask me. Everyone tries to make cash off everyone. Anyway, I'm going to try and align the pulley up perfectly today and see if it stops the squealing. I swear im on the verge of spraying rubberizer on the pulley for some grip

Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

the problem has been fixed. i checked out the pulley again, and it was not perfectly in line with the other pulleys. I pressed it on a bit deeper, and it hasn't squealed since. Good advice in here, solved my problem!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM
mccorkledodge

got a pulley from wholesalemopar.com for 17 dollars plus shipping

Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread from the dead, but Rock Auto has the complete assembly, pump and pulley for $77 + $40 core.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pulley.. Unsolvable..?