3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heated Mirror/Rear Defog

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have rear defrost you'll be able to tell as soon as you look at your window. There's no real mystery as to whether you have it or not. You'll see the defroster grid as soon as you look at the window.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
HouseApe
Professional

Originally Posted by Marx
did anyone find out where the wires come out? i have a rear defrost but its not hooked up, diagrams?

because of the back rack snow gets stuck and it takes a lot of time to defrost with just the heat
The Power comes up the Drivers side C pillar (just below the rear glass)and the ground is on the Passenger side and goes to a stud just below the rear glass trim in the right corner. Not sure of the Relay # but its next to fuse 53. The Rear Defog Fuse is #26 and is a 25 amp fuse.

Last edited by HouseApe; 01-13-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
promocar1

I have mirrors with the "heated" icon, power rear sliding glass, no rear defrost and I CAN'T FIND THE BUTTON TO TURN ON THE MIRRORS! I called the dealer and he said the button was by the window switches, it's not, where is it????

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
HouseApe
Professional

More info on the year of your truck would be great.
It will be on the HVAC controls and its own button.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Bent
Veteran

hehe,
mine's on my Dash, below the A/C (looks like a snowflake) button .

Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Geezir
Veteran

So is mine.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 AM
promocar1

2009, 1500 4 door, 5.7 Hemi,

Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
HouseApe
Professional

A quick look at the 2009 owners manual says its on the HVAC Mode control ****. You just push it in to turn on.

Rear Window Defroster

The rear window defroster button is located on the
climate control panel. Press this button to turn on
the rear window defroster and the heated outside mirrors

(if equipped). An indicator in the button will illuminate
when the rear window defroster is on. The rear window
defroster automatically turns off after approximately
10 minutes. For an additional five minutes of operation,
press the button a second time.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
promocar1

Thanks for all of the replies. Seriously, I know it sounds crazy but the third button (far right) has no rear defrost icon, and won't push in. I have read my owners manual from cover to cover. I have talked to my dealer's service department and they told me to look near the power window switches??? I can't be the only one experiencing this...and yes there is a "heated mirror" icon on my mirrors.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:21 PM
jeffstoy
Default Heated rear window

The winter before this one was a killer and the back window was iced up every morning so I tried to get some info. I found an article on line that claims to have installed a heated window. I think there was even a schematic. The dash button activates both mirrors and rear glass if installed. The rear window pulls a lot of current so the switch operates it through a relay and fuse. This is already wired. You just need to plug the relay and fuse into the empty sockets. From there the wiring goes to a plug under the drivers seat. The heated glass is connected to the plug on one side and ground ( truck sheet metal) on the other. The relay and fuse are cheap. Extending the wiring to the window no big deal but getting an installed heated rear window is not cheap. I've never seen a Ram with heated glass. Even if you could find a used one its an iffy proposition.The heater stripes are painted on with conductive paint. I once put a used heated glass in a Dart only to find about 20 breaks in the stripes. There is a repair kit from the auto parts store; a little bottle of paint with a brush and a stick on mask to repair the narrow stripe. You also better know how to use a meter to find the breaks cause they're not easy to see. Another bad point: I was unable to find the plug under the seat. If I decide to do it I'll look harder and get some Mopar documentation.

Quick Reply: Heated Mirror/Rear Defog