3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Reverse, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
huseman808
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Reverse, help please.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L and the 46RE transmission. Today when I go to put the truck into reverse, nothing happens. The Drive ranges work fine. I can feel it shift from park into reverse, but there is a sort of whirling/whining sound while it is in reverse.

Any idea on what is going on with this? Thanks for the help/.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I will be honest and tell you, I'm no tranny guy. However, I had a Jeep Grand Wagoneer that I drove around for about a year with no reverse, but the drive gears worked. I was told when I sold it to the guy that fixed it that the "bands" for reverse had snapped and needed replacing. Sorry I can't help a little more.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
huseman808
Captain

Im no transmission guy either, i can do anything on a vehicle but transmissions.

That is the most common response i got when i called local shops, was the reverse band could be worn, broke, or misadjusted. I know I can get at the adjustment screw for the band by dropping the pan, but.... if i find something is broke, can the band be replaced without droping the tranny??

I also noticed that when i get the truck going, and then shift the truck down to second or first the rpms do not change nor does the truck do its "engine break." Ive been told that both of these problems occur with a defective Rear/low Band assembly.

Thanks again guys

Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Yeah, from my experience that's it. From what I know, first and reverse are kinda linked somehow. I think they have to pull the tranny apart if the bands are broke, but if they're out of adjustment, I'm sure they could do it in the truck.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:54 PM
huseman808
Captain

1,950$ later... Im back on the road. The tranny needed the dreaded complete overhaul. Dropped the pan to check it out and their was metal shavings, broken snap ring pieces, and shards of god knows else what laying in the pan. Guy at the shop said it was amazing that i could actually drive the truck to him.

Ironically the only part of the trans that was reusable was the reverse band. Its like a bad joke...

Quick Reply: No Reverse, help please.