3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To all the 2WD Rammers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 02:27 PM
blakeroberts88
|
Veteran
Default To all the 2WD Rammers

For those of you who have lift kits, mud tires, all terrains, etc. How well does your truck perform offroad in light to medium amounts of mud, hills, sand/beach, water...

When I get back from the sand box I am sold on getting some Rockstar XDs and possibly some A/T or MAYBE M/T tires. I just want to know if it will be a good investment or if I will just look like a jackass getting my truck stuck on the beach with a lift kit and offroad tires (a truck that looks 4WD but isn't).

I can't wait to come home and drive my truck in approx. 4 more months.

Old 12-16-2009 | 02:47 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

It performs pretty well. It depends on the sand and mud situation. I won't even ATTEMPT sugar sand that we have down here. However, beach sand like at Daytona, the Nitto's seem to eat it up pretty well and the clearance helps when you have a dune in front of you. It keeps the lca, etc from becoming an anchor when you hit. The extra space the larger tires provide seems to help. Mud, as long as you're not going into the mudhold isn't too bad. Like i've said before, it's also about experience and knowing which run to take when you approach an obsticle.

Old 12-16-2009 | 02:53 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

there are things you can do to your 2wd to make it able to handle the stuff that I think you are looking to handle. Seems like you don't want to hardcore wheel, you just want to be able to get offroad occasionally in moderate conditions.

bigger tires, drop to 17s for some more sidewall would prob help a bit, hell you can even get a locker for it if you REALLY want...Idk how much those are though or very much about them (I have a 4x4), just that they exist lol

Old 12-16-2009 | 03:13 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

They can handle whatever you throw at them, as long as you know how to get through certain situations. Deflate your tires a little on the sand, that'll help out. You could always re-gear to 4.88's and get a locker, that'll definately help too.

Old 12-16-2009 | 05:26 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

i get through fin with about 350 pounds in the bed on my 265/70/17 terra graplers. just put it in 1st and keep them spinning as much as u can and ive gotten through about 2ft of mud that my buddy in a v6 wrangler 4x4 on a 4inch suspension lift and 33s got stuck in bc his motor couldnt handle it and bogged down..im very happy with my 2wd off road!! but you cant beat 4x4

Old 12-16-2009 | 05:39 PM
blakeroberts88
|
Veteran

Yea I should've gotten a 4x4. I just like having the option there so if I do get into a sticky situation I have more confidence in my truck's abilities.
From the looks of it people have been saying a lot of great things about Nitto Terras. I also heard good things about Toyo A/Ts and Cooper LTZs. How do the Nittos handle compared to the Cooper LTZs. I've gone to some places that say not to buy Coopers and go with Nittos and vice versa..

Old 12-16-2009 | 05:48 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

The tire dealers will tell what tire they want to sell. All you can go on is experience and what people have gone through with the actual tires. Creative and Big C both have good points. Airing down reaaaallllyyyy can help a lot and also, like big C says you gotta just go. Don't stop and don't slow down. take a look at what you're wanting to go through first. see the best line you think you should take. Yeah, you may get stuck, but that also helps you gain in experience.

Old 12-16-2009 | 08:09 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

i think the nittos are the best! i drove my buddies ranger with 31inch toyos and he likes them and they are great and all but the terras look more aggresive and are a bit quiter on the highway and have better traction in mud and rocks and dirt but not on snow and sand...but the ride niose went down with the terra grapplers from the stockers

Old 12-16-2009 | 11:57 PM
armymp91

Hey bud, I know what you mean about getting home and driving your truck. I'm in Baghdad and about to go on R&R in a few days, it'll be 7 months since I sat behind the wheel of mine. Good luck to ya'.

Old 12-17-2009 | 05:59 AM
blakeroberts88
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by armymp91
Hey bud, I know what you mean about getting home and driving your truck. I'm in Baghdad and about to go on R&R in a few days, it'll be 7 months since I sat behind the wheel of mine. Good luck to ya'.
You doing a year long deployment? That sucks.

Ours is only 6-7 months long.. Usually..

Quick Reply: To all the 2WD Rammers