3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this shop trying to gouge me on parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You'll be hosed if you try to go after both of them. If the second shop did good work AND you did not ask for the prices of the parts PRIOR to giving them the ok to do the work - PAY THEM!

Let them or at least their receipt be your ammunition for going after the company that did the sh*t work...
I paid them already, but I guess I'm just not used to such crazy markups. I don't think anyone else gets away w/ as much **** as auto repair shops. You certainly spelled out it Hammer, I already told the guy at the new shop that he may be getting a call from them to help me explain why it had to be done for a 3rd time.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
chambers
Record Breaker

Update: Went into the shop that did the original install this morning and they didn't give me any trouble on refunding the labor costs. Thank God, I was a little worried. Thanks for all your advice guys.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's about the best you coulda hoped for. BTW, how does the "new" installation sound/feel?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

It's feels good b/c before I was having a clunk whenever I came to a stop and then put it into first to go, but now that is gone. Sound wise it's whining at about 38-45 mph pretty bad. The guy that installed it said that there was a bit too much variance in the backlash on the ring gear and that may have been from the first 2 installs being screwy or it may have came like that. This variance means that it's gonna whine, but it may go away as it wears in on the new pattern. He was a dodge/chrysler tech and from what I'm told has done a lot of re-gearing. So far it has changed from yesterday when I drove it an home from the shop which is about an hour from my house. It was whining really bad at 50 mph and that has pretty much gone away, and like I said now it's worst at 38-45. On the previous installs the whine never changed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to pay again for another install if these gears remain noisy.

Quick Reply: Is this shop trying to gouge me on parts?