3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this shop trying to gouge me on parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this shop trying to gouge me on parts?

Long story short is that I got a new set of gears and they have been installed 3 times. The first place I took them couldn't get them right after 2 times and didn't care to listen to anything I said, so I found somewhere else. The new shop found bad pinion bearings, so they had to get new bearings and races, a new spacer, and a new seal. I have already had the work done and just got the truck back today. Now the issue I'm having is that their pricing for these parts is way off, a couple of examples are a $20 bearing marked up to $73 and an $8 race for $40. So what should have been at most $150 in parts even if they were overpriced is being billed to me as $290 worth. This kind of markup is not making sense to me even if they got the parts from several different places and had to pay for them to drop them at their shop, anybody else encountered this.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

you can file a complaint with the BBB

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly...At this point...Just pay them so that if there are any further issue's they will have to fix it for free. most shops won't go tearing back into something if you didn't buy parts from them. That means you would have to pay them yet again to replace parts that you wanted to save $50 on.

If this was the first time around, you buy the parts and have them install. Now that this is the 3rd or 4th time around.......Just pony up.
Just me .02

Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if they have an excuse or it was some kind of computer error b/c it looks f**d up to me. The parts were almost as much as the labor for setting up the rear end. I could of got another master install for $100 if I knew they were gonna screw me so bad.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Honestly...At this point...Just pay them so that if there are any further issue's they will have to fix it for free. most shops won't go tearing back into something if you didn't buy parts from them. That means you would have to pay them yet again to replace parts that you wanted to save $50 on.
This whole regearing thing has screwed me 6 ways to sunday. I have to go back to the shop that set them up originally to try and get my money back tomorrow b/c they did such a **** poor job. Now I have the issue w/ this shop charging me more than 2 times the cost of the parts. It's feeling like I keep getting kicked when I'm already down.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

Im gonna go with dirty dog on this one to.. Most shops make there money on parts mark up. My brother comes home from work and tells me some stories of the shop he works at charging 3 for 4 times what they paid for parts... Its just a small HD shop so maybe thats why I dont know but you arent going to get no where if you go bitch and complain to them I dont think.. They will just tell you to bad thats what they charge for the parts they had to find and thats it.. I know it sucks *** but I dont know what else you can do. Sorry man.. This is why I buy all my parts and install them all myself, and if I cant install them then I find a buddy that can give me a hand..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Ok, well maybe I'll just bite the bullet on that. Now I just have to try and get my money back from the shop that messed up the install in the first place.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
Ok, well maybe I'll just bite the bullet on that. Now I just have to try and get my money back from the shop that messed up the install in the first place.

Bingo. You will have a new reciept for new work done to fix prior work done. Small claims is the way around that problem.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll be hosed if you try to go after both of them. If the second shop did good work AND you did not ask for the prices of the parts PRIOR to giving them the ok to do the work - PAY THEM!

Let them or at least their receipt be your ammunition for going after the company that did the sh*t work...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Bingo. You will have a new reciept for new work done to fix prior work done. Small claims is the way around that problem.
I really don't want to have to go there. The shop that did the most recent install said it was set up so that it was eating the pinion bearings and it looked like the pattern ran off the ring gear in one spot. I've been going to the shop that screwed up the install for a few years for work on my old car and my parents use them too, so I'm hoping they'll man up if they want to keep our business.

Quick Reply: Is this shop trying to gouge me on parts?