3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shout Out for a Great Shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shout Out for a Great Shop

So my truck is at Oceanside Drive line right now. They are installing my gears. Just want to let all you SoCal guys know that Jerry, the owner of this shop is a dream to work with. He has been doing axles, diffs, and drivelines for over 30 years now, and is SUPER knowledgeable. Especially on Dodges (he owns a CTD 3500). just from talking with him over the phone, you can tell he knows what he is doing.

He took the full day to do my gears. which is ok with me. that just tells me that he is taking his time and not rushing through the job. He started out at around 8 this morning with a test drive of the truck to make sure there were no problems with it before he started (I know this because he drove past me when i was walking home after dropping it off) I dropped by at around 330 this afternoon, and he was just finishing up, and told me he would like to keep it overnight so he can test drive it a few times to make sure its in tip top shape before he gives it back to me. (i like the fact that he wants to verify his work before he charges me)

also, he isnt charging me crazy prices on the parts. he is charging me within a few bucks of what i could get them for at moes. so, for not even having my truck back yet, i can tell already that he will make sure im totally happy. if i ever need to get gear work again, i will be bringing it back to Jerry at Oceanside Drive Line.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a good feeling glad you got places like that around....good luck enjoy them gears....

Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM
shadow11
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to love the new gears. It made a night and day difference when I switched to 4.56 on my 03 4.7.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:59 AM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, it's hard to find a good shop for gear installs.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

got my truck back this morning. turned out awesome. just as i expected. the guy even complimented on how great the truck drove when he test drove it. ZERO noise from the gears. he got it right the first time.

i expected the RPMs to change pretty drastically, but they really didnt as much as i thought. this is how the truck should have felt from the factory.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
this is how the truck should have felt from the factory.
My feeling exactly after my first drive with the new cogs.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

Do you have any drive-shaft noise from the gear install? The 4wheeparts in Santa Ana pretty much told me it was normal and that his wife's or sister's (can't remember what female he mentioned) drive-shaft had the same noise after the gear install after the 500mi I swear since I stayed there instead of leaving it for the day, I don't think he opened it up and checked his work because that alone should have taken a few hours to let the sealant material cure? I'm thinking it's sketchy as all h*** and may drop by Jerry some time soon .

I'd have to take a day off seeing their hours of operation are simply only while I'm at work and before I get off. Did your install have a 45-50mph whine ? Mine has d*** near completely faded away but I have young ears and am still sensitive to higher pitches.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilentRamAD
Do you have any drive-shaft noise from the gear install? The 4wheeparts in Santa Ana pretty much told me it was normal and that his wife's or sister's (can't remember what female he mentioned) drive-shaft had the same noise after the gear install after the 500mi I swear since I stayed there instead of leaving it for the day, I don't think he opened it up and checked his work because that alone should have taken a few hours to let the sealant material cure? I'm thinking it's sketchy as all h*** and may drop by Jerry some time soon .

I'd have to take a day off seeing their hours of operation are simply only while I'm at work and before I get off. Did your install have a 45-50mph whine ? Mine has d*** near completely faded away but I have young ears and am still sensitive to higher pitches.
you shouldnt be hearing ANY noises after a good gear install. mine is completely silent just like stock.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

Then I'm definitely taking it into to him some time soon. But ouch it'd be a 67-70mi drive Man I wish there was someone as reliable as them near me.

Quick Reply: Shout Out for a Great Shop