3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug size

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Horseapples
The tool i listed is a threaded steel tool that is made to thread into the deep shoulders of the HEMI. The air hose connects directly to the tool with standard air tool fittings, no hunting around for adapters or special fittings. What kind of compression tester can you get for 25$? My Snap-on unit was 250.00$, i would not trust that Chinese testers, so that would be an expensive hose, verses a quality steel tool that will last forever. Besides, most compression testers come with multiple threads to fit both size plug holes, these will not work on the HEMI, the shoulder is too deep. I used to be a mechanic, i learned A long time ago that quality tools are worth the extra money, you will have to buy cheap crap over and over again.
I understand what you are saying and calm down if you are upset because the way I read your post, you seem upset. I hope thats not the case.

This is a pic of the compression tester I have and have had for years and used on many occassions. The adapters that come with the tester will work. Believe me, I just used mine to change my springs on the heads. I agree with buying quality tools but were talking about one tool you will use ONE time. Once he changes springs he will never change them again for than likely.

You can buy that tool at sears and its cool to have. I just think for a few bucks more you might as well buy a compression tester that will be able to be used for the heads to change the springs and used for diagnostics later on if needed. Like I said, youre only going to change springs once.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just stating my opinion.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not upset at all. All i can do is throw an idea out there, weather some one chooses to use the idea has no impact on me. The tool i listed is an extension for compression testers designed to allow access to deep plugs. It is not just for changing springs. This will work on any engine where the plug sits deep in the head. The steel tube allows for greater control when doing compression tests as you can tighten the tube much better then simply screwing in a hose. This makes it much less likely to have an incorrect reading from pressure bypassing the o rings.

here is one on Amazon for 13$
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-21950-Co.../dp/B000X234NA

Last edited by Horseapples; 12-20-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Does the tool you posted thread directly into the spark plug hole or is there an adapter needed to make it fit the threads?
Yes, Teach, it threads into the head, the other end takes standard female air fittings

Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it all looks good guys, thanks. i was looking at fittings listed by jegs and i wasn't sure if the threads were 14 or 18mm. i guess they are 14mm, as stated by the amazon listing.

Last edited by Dodgeboy77; 12-20-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats cool. For $13 though I would do it. And if Im not mistaken, I thought Frog once posted a pic with a metal rod going down in the cylinder. I always wondered how they did it or what it was. When I did my cam I was trying to find something like this and no one had anything and then I found my compression tester and realized it would work.

Nice find though Horseapples

Im sure you could buy it and resale it on the boards here once you are done using it.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally, even if i am going to only use a tool once on my own vehicle, i still buy a quality one, even if a cheaper one is available. that way i can keep it in my tool box, and down the road if anyone else in my area needs help doing something that requires that tool, then i already have it. and what i get out of that, is more experience. same reason i purchased spring compressors and a Pitman arm Puller. i used them once on my truck, and a couple more times on my buddy's trucks.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Horseapples
I am not upset at all. All i can do is throw an idea out there, weather some one chooses to use the idea has no impact on me. The tool i listed is an extension for compression testers designed to allow access to deep plugs. It is not just for changing springs. This will work on any engine where the plug sits deep in the head. The steel tube allows for greater control when doing compression tests as you can tighten the tube much better then simply screwing in a hose. This makes it much less likely to have an incorrect reading from pressure bypassing the o rings.

here is one on Amazon for 13$
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-21950-Co.../dp/B000X234NA
I bookmarked that page. For $13 that seems like the best deal around.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how hard would it be to just take the heads off? wouldnt that make it easier to replace springs?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
how hard would it be to just take the heads off? wouldnt that make it easier to replace springs?
It would definitly be easier, that is for sure. But it would also be more costly with the new head bolts and gaskets.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have lisle stuff at our local canadian tire and partsource, maybe they carry it.

Quick Reply: Spark plug size