3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug size

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug size

I'm getting (mentally) prepared for doing a cam change and i can't find what size the spark plug hole on a hemi is? (to get the fitting to hold the valves closed with air) thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 05:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I just went through this. Go buy you a cylinder compression kit. In it is the gauge (you wont use) and the air hose (which wont fit the heads) and a threaded adapter that you will need to screw on the air hose and then into the heads. There is a air stem valve in the end of the hose you will need to take out so the air from the compressor will pass through it and not be blocked.

If you are doing the springs on the heads still on the block then I highly suggest you get some extra keepers. You will also need a crank pulley puller.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
You will also need a crank pulley puller.
What size puller did you use? I have one but I am not sure if it is the right size for our trucks.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Puller is made by "OEM" and the P/N is 27139. The bolt that comes with it will not be long enough and so Sawcut told me about having to use a 3/8 6" extension to put in there first and then the bolt for the puller. It worked like magic. To get it back in I use a small 2*4 and a hammer. Once I got it in enough for a few crank bolt threads to catch I went in my hand with a wrench and after it was in there good i went in with an impact.

not my pic but you can see the p/n

Old 12-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

That kind of looks like the one I have. I am going to have to check and see if they match.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

This is an extension especially made for HEMI heads. It is available from most auto parts retailers, as well as Sears. It is a good investment, i have one and would not attempt a cam swap without it!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Horseapples
This is an extension especially made for HEMI heads. It is available from most auto parts retailers, as well as Sears. It is a good investment, i have one and would not attempt a cam swap without it!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
NICE, ill have to go pick one of those up. i still have a TON of research to do before i try and install my cam.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Uh............for $25 your better buying the compression tester that I promise you will use later unlike this hose at Sears you will use ONCE......think about it

Go get one from Autozone or ebay if you dont need it right now.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Uh............for $25 your better buying the compression tester that I promise you will use later unlike this hose at Sears you will use ONCE......think about it

Go get one from Autozone or ebay if you dont need it right now.
The tool i listed is a threaded steel tool that is made to thread into the deep shoulders of the HEMI. The air hose connects directly to the tool with standard air tool fittings, no hunting around for adapters or special fittings. What kind of compression tester can you get for 25$? My Snap-on unit was 250.00$, i would not trust that Chinese testers, so that would be an expensive hose, verses a quality steel tool that will last forever. Besides, most compression testers come with multiple threads to fit both size plug holes, these will not work on the HEMI, the shoulder is too deep. I used to be a mechanic, i learned A long time ago that quality tools are worth the extra money, you will have to buy cheap crap over and over again.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Horseapples
The tool i listed is a threaded steel tool that is made to thread into the deep shoulders of the HEMI. The air hose connects directly to the tool with standard air tool fittings, no hunting around for adapters or special fittings. What kind of compression tester can you get for 25$? My Snap-on unit was 250.00$, i would not trust that Chinese testers, so that would be an expensive hose, verses a quality steel tool that will last forever. Besides, most compression testers come with multiple threads to fit both size plug holes, these will not work on the HEMI, the shoulder is too deep. I used to be a mechanic, i learned A long time ago that quality tools are worth the extra money, you will have to buy cheap crap over and over again.
Does the tool you posted thread directly into the spark plug hole or is there an adapter needed to make it fit the threads?

Quick Reply: Spark plug size