3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help me keep my hemi runnin strong

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
badfish88
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me keep my hemi runnin strong

Well she had a nice haul baught her strait outta boot camp a few years ago 19k, miles- 2004 ram qcsb slt hemi. now im coming up on almost 80k. i have done every thing in the maintenance book since ive had the truck and never missed a 3k mile oil change by more than 10 miles. tranny service.....plugs.every thing
So far nothing major just a bad sensor for my tail lights thas all. so any way i was wondering if you guys had some tips to keep her runnin smooth and for a long long time. Shes had her share of drag races, drifting down dirt roads, roasting rice burners, and some sweet burnouts, but one she hit 50k ive been driving like grandpa.
Is there any thing i should change before it breaks, hubs, cv joint, ect...... or should that stuff last alot longer, and would it be a good idea to change to synthetic fluids.....oil and what not. the front and rear diffs get changed every 30k with the transfer case. thanks again guys,...............dodge forum has been awsome...and stil is

Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I woulddo a compression test on the cylinders and just make a note of where they are at now and later down the road you can do another and compare the numbers. That will let you key in on things like bad rings, ect.

Also, keep an eye out for the timing chain if you havent done it yet

Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 PM
hemi1500usmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u aint got a K&N air filter id get one. not only does it give u a couple extra miles per gallon, it saves ur ****. and since u aint ever gota buy a new one, it pays for itself fairly quick

Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by badfish88
Well she had a nice haul baught her strait outta boot camp a few years ago 19k, miles- 2004 ram qcsb slt hemi. now im coming up on almost 80k. i have done every thing in the maintenance book since ive had the truck and never missed a 3k mile oil change by more than 10 miles. tranny service.....plugs.every thing
So far nothing major just a bad sensor for my tail lights thas all. so any way i was wondering if you guys had some tips to keep her runnin smooth and for a long long time. Shes had her share of drag races, drifting down dirt roads, roasting rice burners, and some sweet burnouts, but one she hit 50k ive been driving like grandpa.
Is there any thing i should change before it breaks, hubs, cv joint, ect...... or should that stuff last alot longer, and would it be a good idea to change to synthetic fluids.....oil and what not. the front and rear diffs get changed every 30k with the transfer case. thanks again guys,...............dodge forum has been awsome...and stil is
I personally like synthetics, but after much research (on previous cars) I spread the frequency to 6000 miles. It gets expensive changing it every 3000 (which really doesn't make it worth it). There are cars out there right now that get oil changes every 10,000 miles (VW, I think). Mine hit 100,000 not too long ago, and I definitely don't drive like a grandpa. She just keeps coming back for more. I would plan on a timing set like weed said (do it when you put a new cam in ). Always keep an eye (and ear) on your cv joints (especially the boots) and your universals as you get higher in mileage. Sooner or later your O2 sensors will start f'ing up on you (like mine are) and you'll have to replace those. It's a proven fact that good regular conscience maintenance and allowing an engine to come up to proper operating temp (that way the pieces all fit like they're supposed to) will allow an engine to last a long time (family business vehicle at one time was a 73 Suburban with a 350, that thing went to over 300,000 before the body gave up the ghost). And get a manual if you don't have one (PM me if you need one).

Quick Reply: Please help me keep my hemi runnin strong