3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
JCinDE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Head Unit

I didn't see this in the FAQ, so I'll just ask. I want to upgrade my stereo head unit to one with MP3/Bluetooth/iPod capabilities. (I don't want a DVD player or nav system.) Something like this guy which Best Buy says does not fit in my truck. In fact it says that about all double DIN head units.

What I really don't want is to replace the stock head unit with a smaller one and have some ugly faceplate covering a hole. I want something that looks like it belongs there, not like it was spackled into the opening.

So what are my options? Are my only choices to stick a single DIN into a too-big hole or cut a bigger one for a double DIN?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by JCinDE
I didn't see this in the FAQ, so I'll just ask. I want to upgrade my stereo head unit to one with MP3/Bluetooth/iPod capabilities. (I don't want a DVD player or nav system.) Something like this guy which Best Buy says does not fit in my truck. In fact it says that about all double DIN head units.

What I really don't want is to replace the stock head unit with a smaller one and have some ugly faceplate covering a hole. I want something that looks like it belongs there, not like it was spackled into the opening.

So what are my options? Are my only choices to stick a single DIN into a too-big hole or cut a bigger one for a double DIN?
yes. or find a 1.5 din stereo (rare). Weed and I have both cut the holes bigger to fit 2din stereos. check out his gallery (weedahoe), he's got lots of pictures. I haven't plugged the holes in mine yet, but it fits great so far, and will look near stock when I'm done.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
JCinDE
Professional

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
yes. or find a 1.5 din stereo (rare). Weed and I have both cut the holes bigger to fit 2din stereos. check out his gallery (weedahoe), he's got lots of pictures. I haven't plugged the holes in mine yet, but it fits great so far, and will look near stock when I'm done.
Yeah in further Googling, I found his thread. That looks like a hell of a lot of work that can easily be screwed up by someone (like me) who's never done that sort of thing.

But the end product looked great.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

it aint so bad. he's even offered to make the brackets and the front plate for anyone that's interested. his prices are also reasonable (brackets he offered for free!). i have no regrets with doing it, just gotta be careful, and have the time to finish it.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah. Ive did mine and it wasnt hard. Ive got enough pics that you can follow them as a step by step guide if you wanted to. Making one isnt hard at all IMO. And ive got enough material at work and machine to make the brackets as said above. You just have to pay for the shipping of them. get a HU like this one HERE and all you need to buy is the harnesses. Thats the cheap and easy way to get one.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
JCinDE
Professional

I don't see any final product pictures of your bezel. Do you have any of it all painted and put together again?

Just so I have everything straight...

I'd need to buy the head unit itself and a wiring harness. Have someone make a mounting bracket. And mod the bezel myself. Right?

All but the last part is easy. heh

Some questions. Where would I get plastic like you used for the backing? How do you make sure the double din hole you cut is centered and even and square?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u get a double din i would get this one
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/pi...ic-u310bt.aspx

Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by JCinDE
I don't see any final product pictures of your bezel. Do you have any of it all painted and put together again?

Just so I have everything straight...

I'd need to buy the head unit itself and a wiring harness. Have someone make a mounting bracket. And mod the bezel myself. Right?

All but the last part is easy. heh

Some questions. Where would I get plastic like you used for the backing? How do you make sure the double din hole you cut is centered and even and square?
slow and steady. that was my biggest concern too. if i put up a picture of mine, you'd notice that the hole isn't at the same place as weed's. the angles of the HUs are likely different too. but that's what happens with customizations, it'll be a little different.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM
JCinDE
Professional

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
if u get a double din i would get this one
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/pi...ic-u310bt.aspx
Nah. I don't want the huge screen. Don't need a nav system, don't want a DVD player. I just want a sound system. Guess I'm old fashioned.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Stereo Head Unit