3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suggestions on dual exhaust setup but not too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on dual exhaust setup but not too loud?

My previous truck was a 2000 Ram 4x4 Laramie with 5.9 litre magnum engine. I bought it gently used but it came equipped with straight duals on it and was fun to listen to but way too loud at times.

I intend for my 04 to belong to my son in a couple of years and he wants the popular dual pipes out the back setup with some throatiness to it. But, I don't want it too loud and I don't want to spend a lot of money doing it either. What are my options for something that lets you know you are giving some gas to a V8 Hemi, by ear, without waking the neighbors? Just something that hums maybe when cruising along but growls a little bit when you push the gas pedal?

And, if you have any out of the box and ready to install type suggestions, can you give an approximate cost turn-key?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Magnaflow is your friend
Go here, look up your exact truck. Cab, bed and engine and get the part number.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp
The go to www.performancepeddler.com and search for that part number. This is the cheapest price I have found. Make them a lowball offer and they will counter with their best price. I got mine shipped to my door for $416.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
jfrerichs89
Rookie

Single in single out mufflers on each side would help you out.... I have 22'' mufflers (i think) on my hemi and you can turn heads if you hit full throttle but can keep it to a good rumble if your just casually cruising... Not 100% sure how it would sound on the 5.9 but magnaflow seems to always have a good sound.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jfrerichs89
Not 100% sure how it would sound on the 5.9 but magnaflow seems to always have a good sound.
Sorry, I didn't make it totally clear except for my screen name and 1 little mention in my post but it was my old Ram that had the 5.9. My current ram has the 5.7 hemi. I've heard of magnaflow. Is there anywhere I could go to hear what it sounds like? And what is required to install the system? Do I need a muffler shop to do it? In other words, is welding or different brackets needed, I would assume so...

Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

These are the ones I got for my hemi they sound good. Low deep rumble not to loud just right.

http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-1441.../dp/B000CC9CAU

Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 AM
jfrerichs89
Rookie

My bad, i saw that you said 5.9 and wasnt payin attention.... basically i just youtube'd magnaflow for the hemi when i was lookin for what kind of sound i wantd. I dont have camera and am not totally sure on uploading or i would put a video of mine up. I have 2 of the 22'' are 28'' long total (bought off ebay)and i had a muffler shop do all my exhuast.

what i gathered from reading about mufflers on here and around the internet, the longer the muffler the lower the sound youll get. I personally like the sound i have because i can drive on the highway without drone and its not too loud until provoked.

Putting any type of aftermarket muffler like the also popular areoturbines or cherry bombs on the exhaust should lower the sound because the exhaust can expand still and increase flow (unless its flowmaster). Idont think its too expensive to run a single in dual out muffler set up. Mine cost little under 600 total with the 2 mufflers, dual chrome tips, pipe, bending and installation

Hope any of that helps and sorry about the confusion

Last edited by jfrerichs89; 12-29-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not get him a Magnaflow and a DMH cutout so he can make it loud when he wants to quiet when needed?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

single-in dual-out magnaflow

He'll have the dual pipes out the back look, with out all the expense of true duals.

I wouldn't put true duals on a truck I was giving to my kid in a few years.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM
stuntpilot
Professional

I'm curious, does anybody make true duals for Ram's?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

none that i am aware of.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on dual exhaust setup but not too loud?