3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy, and i have some front suspension questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Tx91z28
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, and i have some front suspension questions!

Hey guys, i've been lurking here for a few months but haven't posted up much because well i've just been looking for answers and found most of them on my own. I drive a:

2002 Ram QC 1500 Sport
Flame Red
4.7L 2WD automatic
Ranch Hand Bullnose
Custom steel rear bumper
6" Rough Country suspension lift
35X12.5R17 ProComp Xtream AT's on black rims
Tinted
Billet Grill
Black nerf bars
spray in bedliner
2 10's and some amped speakers
and some more little stuff, ill get some pics up once the rain stops...

Anyways this site was great help for a few of the above decisions, but now I think i've reached the limit of the search function. Im talking about a 2wd to 4wd conversion . Im trying to find pictures of the 02-05 4wd front suspension, as well as pictures of one with a 6" suspension lift. I know the computer/transmission/transfer case will need to be attended to as well, i'm just trying to see what i'm up against here. Welding/fab are not an issue as long as the suspensions are somewhat interchangeable and there isn't a major difference in frames/linkages. SO lets see what pics/advice you guys have!?

Thanks, Alex

Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 PM
jroy
Professional

Step 1: Sell your current truck.

Step 2: Buy a 4wd version of your current truck.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
stuntpilot
Professional

Originally Posted by jroy

LMAO! You beat me to it!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jroy

thats all that needed to be said. (<besides this)

Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unfortunately they are right my friend! not cost effective, you could buy a new truck for less!!!

Welcome to dodge forum, hope we have helped, even if it is not the answer you were looking for

Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Tx91z28
Rookie

so no one has pics of their front 4wd suspensions? or at least a link where i might find some?

well it's clear that very few on this board can do anything but bolt ons, tuners, and some electronics... has anyone attempted the 2wd to 4wd swap? there are not even attempts shown anywhere(oh cuz its too hard/not cost effective...) . Before you guys write it off as a "stupid" idea, can someone tell me WHAT is involved? I don't think anyone knows exactly. Show me the pics of a 2wd front end next to a 4wd front end, add to the data base on DF and SHOW the differences, or help me figure it out so i can show it to everyone. i'm not saying you guys are wrong, I would just like to find out what is involved. i haven't seen a "real" fab project on any 3rd gen ram, these trucks are getting old (8 years!), they aren't so "new" that swaps like 2wd to 4wd are out of the question anymore.

Also, in my case my truck is not worth enough to make selling it to buy a 4wd cheap at all, so depending on the needs of this swap and my fab abilities, i may be able to come out ahead. OR it may be a complete waste of time because its near impossible. I know i'm a new guy on DF but im no stranger to fab work on cars/trucks, im just not very familiar with the early third gen 4wd ram.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
stuntpilot
Professional

Go down to the wreckers and buy a 4x4 that's been rolled and put your cab and bed on it! Just an idea.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we are not trying to discourage you, but it is a huge undertaking. I do not have any pics of the underside of my truck or else I would post them. I won't be near my truck til this weekend so If you dont have what you are looking for by then I will take a picture for you. I assume you know what the 2wd looks like, so hang tite I will get it for you

Old 12-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Tx91z28
Rookie

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
we are not trying to discourage you, but it is a huge undertaking. I do not have any pics of the underside of my truck or else I would post them. I won't be near my truck til this weekend so If you dont have what you are looking for by then I will take a picture for you. I assume you know what the 2wd looks like, so hang tite I will get it for you
yeah i don't think it will be anything less than a lot of work and parts matching, i really just want to find out if it's even reasonable to do money aside. a picture would be great! its amazing how few there are online... i really though there would be at least a few but the internet has defeated me

Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2wd = coil springs
4wd = torsion bars, associative mounts and pumpkin (for starters)
I'll send you the parts manual, you will be able to see for yourself.

Quick Reply: New guy, and i have some front suspension questions!