3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motive gear, worst customer support ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 01:18 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker
Default Motive gear, worst customer support ever

So this is a long story but I'll try and sum it up pretty short. I got a set of motive's and DTT from moes only to have the motives turn out to be noisy and w/ a backlash that was varying too much from specs along the ring gear.

Now trying to get my second set installed they would not answer their phones or return calls to the shop trying to do the install. Everything has been set up to spec and the backlash is not varying on the ring gear, but the pattern is all over the place on the ring gear. After the shop called and left several messages Monday, I called yesterday and left a message and emailed them. The email finally got some attention but the shop still had to go through the operator to get a hold of the support guy even though they tried his direct number their was no answer. They sent him a pic of the pattern and all he had to say after they got him on the phone was it was either a bad gear set of a bad setup, really no help at all. So I'm essentially 2 for 2 on bad gear sets and motive has done nothing really to resolve it. If they can't get a good pattern out of this set both are going back, and I'm looking for another brand b/c for me motive's have been as good as a steaming pile of crap.

Old 01-13-2010 | 02:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I think to be fair to Motive, your first gear shop totally f*cked up your initial install and I ain't so sure the second shop did much better after reading all your previous threads.

Personally, I've NEVER seen a "bad" set of gears from the factory of any manufacturer, although I'm sure they all have some that get through quality control.

However, that said, there still is no excuse for not answering/returning phone calls and for having such lousy technical suppport. But it's a sign of the times. Remington Arms for example, cut their ENTIRE quality control division in manufacting their firearms. It's up to the people "on the line" to spot issues and it's an accepted company policy that it's cheaper to let the consumer be the QC and just repair/replace when they get shipped back. Stupid, isn't it?

But back to your issue, Motive has one of the better reputations for gear sets, two of my local shops install them on a regular basis and NEVER have to call Motive to ask how to do it.

Yeah, Motive appears to be lacking in the customer service dept. for sure, but I personally think you are 0 for 2 on installation shops. Just my opinion.

As far as another brand, Precision has a good reputation, as does Yukon, Richmond and Genuine Gear. Genuine's have a Lifetime Warranty if that means anything to you...

Old 01-13-2010 | 03:02 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Yea I'm unsure about the first set being defective or a bad setup, but this second one is set up according to motive's specs w/ a the pinion gauge set they recommended. This shop I'm at now typically deals w/ randy's R&P and he doesn't even sell motive as far as I can tell. He said he doesn't usually have problems w/ motive b/c I asked before I ordered the second set. I'm looking at Yukon, but I'm gonna need to find them locally b/c I need this done since my truck has been MIA for more than 2 weeks. I don't want this set to be bad, it just means I'm gonna have to reach in my pocket yet again and hope motive will refund my money for it. I've seen lots of threads from mustangs where people had trouble w/ motives, my luck just seems to **** lately. I really hope you're wrong about this shop being bad too, I've gotten much more feedback and info from them than I ever got from the first one.

Old 01-13-2010 | 03:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

How far are you from Raleigh, N.C.? There is a 4 Wheel Parts store there and they have Genuines, Motives, Precisions and Superiors. Probably don't stock, but I know a call to them and they get them in a day.
I have the Genuines purchased from their Orlando store and since '05 I have never had a hint of a whine or any issue.

Old 01-13-2010 | 04:23 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

I'm pretty far from there. I've got calls into a couple 4 wheel shops locally looking for gears, the shop is saying to get Richmond or Yukon.

Old 01-13-2010 | 04:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Either are fine, I think it was Yukon had a problem with bad heat forgings a couple of years ago, but was basically a one run issue. Not heard of any problems since. Like I said, I don't think there is any one bad gear company, it's ALL about the install.
Since you stated your chosen shop buys from Randy's, I can see why they would make that recommendation. Yukon and Richmond are Randy's "house" brands. Great place to buy by the way. Randy's has more salesmen on staff who know more about axles than most axle shop mechanics do. Only down side is they charge a little bit more than many online sources...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 | 08:58 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

To repeat hammer's thread, the 4 wheel parts shop in Orlando is top notch, they have very knowledgeable mechanics there. They put my body lift on my old ranger and didn't have to fix my bumpers, but since it didn't come with a relocation kit, they cut and welded after measuring and put my bumpers right back and looked factory. I give them massive props!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:54 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Alright so I've found a set of yukon's locally for $300, have to go and get them in my brother's truck and take them over to the shop tomorrow morning. Wish me luck that this is all over with tomorrow and I can get some of my money back from motive.

Old 01-14-2010 | 12:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive got Motive 456s in mine and had a tech from the dodge dealership put them in. When I got it back they were noisy also and I took it back to him and he said he did it per dodge spec. But he went and checked them and adjusted them and they were better expect around 70 it had a hum. I took it back and he again said it was per spec. Well Im not retarded and I understand why they make the noise so either go slightly under or over spec to get them to mesh right. He did and they are quiet now. Gears dont really go bad unless something gets caught in the teeth IMO.

Old 01-14-2010 | 12:44 PM
chambers
|
Record Breaker

Yea well I'm sure the new set (2nd set from Motive) is bad after speaking w/ the guys at 4 wheel drive specialty. The guy that owns the shop I'm at used to work there setting them up before he went into business for himself so he knows whats going on. Anyway the yukons are at the shop and hopefully I will have my truck back by the end of today or tomorrow. Still have to send Motive the 2 sets back and see what they have to say about the 1st set that I pulled out. I'd say stay away from Motive just for the fact that is so difficult to get in contact w/ someone from customer support on the phone, that can't be a good sign if you ever need to make warranty claim.

Quick Reply: Motive gear, worst customer support ever