3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Moving fuse box for headlight access

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammer I haven't done it yet but I did look and I don't see any way to get my "meathooks" in there without something having to be moved.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

lay on your back and reach up to the bulb just behind the bumper. once you untwist it you can then disengage the wiring harness and replace the bulb.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with ya greg,I cant get to mine either but seriously the headlight assembly is easily removed!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:11 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Just got it done. On my 04, there was no way the driver's side was getting done with everything in place. Took 1 bolt out of the fuse box assembly, 1 retaining clip screw and slid the fuse box to the left to unhook it from battery box and there is plenty of wire to move the fuse box over towards the motor to get it out of the way to change the bulb. No laying on the ground, no going in through the fender guards.

Thanks for all the hints and tips but, given that the headlight assembly bolts are a PITA as smknram says, I think the fuse box move is the way to go. Can't wait to see the difference tonight.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well twas three years or so ago and I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday, but I am sure I didn't move the fusebox. I may have pulled the headlamp assembly to change them out.

The stock bulbs suck! and with the winch I don't really have a place to mount off-road lights without it looking too "busy". The SilverStars were a huge improvement...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yeh, I hear ya hammer. I could probably bend my arm and wrist just right to actually get in there and touch the bulb but there was no way I could remove it and unclip it, swap it and put it back in. Just not enough room to move around. It was still a little tight for my meathooks even with the fuse box out of the way. The fuse box was not an issue at all but the back of the bulb is right next to a metal support and some other wires so it's a little tight from any angle. Could have probably gotten to it from underneath but didn't really see a need to get down there with the fuse box being so easily moveable. I was careful with the fuse box at first because I didn't know what was under there but, after seeing it, I think you'd have to get pretty rough with it to pull anything loose.

I noticed the stock bulbs are Sylvania as well. Doesn't surprise me as I know my company is a Chrysler supplier because I got a supplier discount on the truck when I bought it. Not sure what else we make that goes in them. Kinda cool to get the kind of discount I got just because of who made the light bulbs. LOL

Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea my stockers were the slyvania long life (LL). Was impressed with how long those lights worked. 6 years and a 125000 miles later they were both still working fine. Only reason I replaced them was i found a couple sets of silverstar ultras on eBay for 10 bucks a pair so couldnt pass that up.

Quick Reply: Moving fuse box for headlight access