3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new projector headlights - weird cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new projector headlights - weird cutoff

i got these halogen projector headlights when i traded an extra set of tail lights for them about a month ago.i installed them today without aiming them since they came off another dodge ram.the guy i got them from said he also didnt aim them and he also said they were maybe aimed high b/c they would shine into cars that were in front of him.finally today i put them on and they worked great and looked awsome on my black ram.tonight i took my first drive in the dark with them and they didnt shine into anyones car,i could clearly see the cutoff point below there rear window and side mirrors which was good but the cutoff line wasnt straight across,it was straight then jagged then straight again.anyone know why it looks the way it does or how to fix it maybe? do i just have to try and adjust them at night in front of a wall or something? the line was also white,blue and reddish in areas.on a side note,i love these lights-they light up the whole road and light up like a mile in front of me down the road,lol
check the pics below to see what i mean by a jagged line.i used an iphone so they arent great but you can see what i mean

down slight hill (driveway)
Name:  IMG_0821.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  22.2 KB

jagged part circled
Name:  CIRCLEHEADLIGHT.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  20.7 KB

on a board up real close
Name:  IMG_0818.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  26.0 KB

back alittle further (aimed slightly up driveway)
Name:  IMG_0820.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  33.8 KB

these are the headlights i have
Name:  DSC01592.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  108.1 KB

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, When I had halos projecters on my 04 jeep it did the same thing. The jagged line thing. The cut off i had was bad and didnt shine as much as yours. I think the these projecters lens are **** compaied the the ones on lexes and stuff. Even when I put some hids in them i still couldnt see as good with them. I only could see about 10 feet in front of me with hids. And they change the color of your bulbs too. I got 8000k hids a light blue and had to order 12,000 bulbs just to have a light blue affect color with the projects. Its weried

Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

Cause its not a true projector lights. Mine are that way also. This pic is pointed up my driveway.
Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  58.1 KB

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine don't look like that. How do you aim them? Mine used to be on a lowered RAM so they need to be moved up.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

They have a jagged cutoff because the headlights are not aimed even, and even if they are, if you look at the cutoff inside the projector it is cut uneven just the same way, part of the reason I hear is so that the right side is set a touch higher than the left side with the purpose that it would be less likely to blind oncoming traffic since most vehicles windshields are somewhat lower than their back window. Aiden, with what you reported, that sounds weird to me, because projectors even with a halogen bulb in them usually put off an almost bluish effect on their own, also they tend to make a white bulb shine almost bluish, like my 6000k hid's have a fair blue tint to them compared to my fog lights which are the same temperature from the same company.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Oh and oefootball, they should have 3 screws set into the housing, you sit on a flat surface with a wall in front of you and try to aim them level by playing with those screws, on trucks it can be somewhat harder than in cars because you have to aim them slightly down so as not to blind cars, that is why you have trucks with projectors that do not aim as far as the cars with projectors because they can aim theirs truly level.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

Good info as always.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

98cherryram-if the headlights are installed how are you supposed to aim them? u cant reach behind them when they are installed,plus it looks like u need a wrench to adjust them.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Bringing this thread back to answer your question john, the three spots where you adjust the lights should be able to be adjusted with a phillips screw driver as well. Just make sure you do not strip those out otherwise you will need to use a wrench, but a thin wall socket wrench with an extension would work as well.

Quick Reply: new projector headlights - weird cutoff