3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 1500 2wd - 6" Fabtech lift install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
TXST8tj
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics coming. Front is completely disassembled. I got the driver's side lower control arm mount trimmed and my grinder decided to stop working properly, so I have to run to the store to get a new one to trim the passenger side.

I will post finished pics when it's done and a write-up as well.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
TXST8tj
Rookie

The front is done. As mentioned, they forgot one of the rear u-bolts, so I will have to wait until they can send one out to me to finish.

I will upload the pics and post later. It was a hefty install, but everything went together smoothly....just a lot going on.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 AM
TXST8tj
Rookie

Ok, well there has been some significant delay. This is just one of those "Murphey's Law" deals I guess.

First, Fabtech only ships 3 of 4 rear u-bolts. I couldn't find one locally, and since they are not open on the weekends, I had to wait until yesterday (Monday) to call in for a replacement to be sent. The dude was extremely rude with me, which I was not thrilled about. On top of that, I asked him to overnight the u-bolt to me, but he refused and said it is against their policy to do so. After talking to a couple local shops, they said that is their same experience with Fabtech....they will not approve "red-label" shipping for any reason.
Second, I meet the guy at the tire shop to pick up the wheels and tires and they forget to give me the new lug nuts.
Third, the new wheels have the wrong backspacing/offset and the tires rest on the new spindles. Someone wasn't paying attention when the wheels were ordered. New wheels are currently on order and will hopefully be available by tomorrow.

I head out of town for work for the next few days, so hopefully by the time I get back, I will have the missing u-bolt and the tires mounted on a new set of wheels so I can get this thing gone.

I can't move it because the tires rub and will probably pop if I try anymore than I already have.
Name:  100_2809.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  101.2 KB

Last edited by TXST8tj; 01-19-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
bigmac18
Veteran

I've had that same kit on my truck for 2 1/2 years now, and I have no complaints at all. I actually like the little stiffer ride over the stock ride. Thankfully mine shipped with all the parts! The shop that installed it said it went on extremely easy and was well built. Maybe their products have begun to suffer due to economic downfalls?
Hope you get it all squared away and installed!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
big_kahuna

I put the 6" fabtech kit w/procomp shocks on my '04 about a year ago and love it. The ride is a little stiffer but I don't mind. After I put the lift on it did create a whinning noise in the cab...and whats wierd is it only happens when my wife is riding with me.

I actually bought the lift, wheels and tires from a guy on craigslist for $1100. He was taking it all off to lower his '04. For a 2wd it does well in the mud, only been stuck once out of a dozen outings...and that was from trying something I knew I shouldn't.

For being used the fabtech parts all were in good condition and seemed to have held up well.

One thing I ran into with mine is I had to replace the right hub and caster/camber kits to get it to hold an alignment with the bigger tires. And after I did that it took me awhile to find a shop that would do the alignment.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

no disrespect guys, but is it just me, or are the 2wd on 6" lifts barely taller than a leveled 4x4? (im a 2wd too)

Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM
dmull013
Professional

Big Kahuna,
I really like those black wheels you have? What are they?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Originally Posted by mdram43
no disrespect guys, but is it just me, or are the 2wd on 6" lifts barely taller than a leveled 4x4? (im a 2wd too)
No, mine definately sits higher then a leveled 4x4.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
No, mine definately sits higher then a leveled 4x4.
you definitely look higher. btw you ever think about blacking out the chrome on your grille and bumper?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Animal Mother
Captain

Originally Posted by big_kahuna
The ride is a little stiffer but I don't mind. After I put the lift on it did create a whinning noise in the cab...and whats wierd is it only happens when my wife is riding with me..
Hahaha that was a good knee slapper

Quick Reply: 2006 1500 2wd - 6" Fabtech lift install