3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Offroad Racing Shocks for Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Brokenpath
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad Racing Shocks for Dodge?

In the search of a redefined suspension system i noticed that the 2 major companies that produce racing shocks/springs do not make them for dodge! (King and Fox)

Does anyone know a company that does? Why do some of the biggest names in the industry not make anything for dodge?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 PM
mmstar23
Champion

Im about to order some KING Coilovers on wednesday when i get my paycheck lol! So Im not sure where you saw that they dont fit Dodge??? Bilstein makes some Nice shocks too! Im running theyre 7100's and theyre nice!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Brokenpath
Rookie

daaaamn nice truck.

Yeah, when it comes down to truck suspension i basically know NOTHING about it.

I've googled it a bunch of times but still can't understand the 2-link 4-link, all that stuff etc.

Do you have any resources where I can figure all of that out? I'm basically looking for something other than a spindle lift with some shocks. I want some REAL travel pre-runner capabilities but still able to hold its own on the street.. What is it called?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM
mmstar23
Champion

I'm a huge suspension junkie, and thats what im going to school for actually. im actually designing my own Coilovers in my engineering class at FSU. Go NOLES! your not going to have to worry about a 4 link system unless you want to fork out THOUSANDS of dollars. nice system, but unless your truley off roading and going to GLAMIS you wont need it. also im sure shortly after this post your gonna hear all this stuff about a solid fron axle swap if your very serious about doing this. I personally disagree, go ahead and look at your trophy trucks and competition truck, they all use IFS. better for handling. Suspension really isnt anything difficult to understand. its all about angles, shocks and coils. if you want a sick setup id recomend coilovers and having them properly valved is key, Don Thuren is the man, or even Carli Suspension can help you out a lot.

Last edited by mmstar23; 01-18-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
mmstar23
Champion

for a 1/2 ton, if you dont want to run spindles, your still going to need your re-location brackets to drop your lower control arms and you will simply run a longer coil and once again as i stated you need nice shocks. thats the basic setup, obviously as the funds allow, you can go with a more extreme setup. i really am not sure just what your looking for, so feel free to ask what you think is right and let me know just where you want to go with the whole thing

Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenpath
daaaamn nice truck.

He actually had a real nice 4x2 gasser when he was a newbie here. A 4x4 wanna be.

Seriously, you should search back for one of his pics, was one of the nicer lifted 4x2s I've seen along with OE's.

Although I like the current ride a little better. Damn I wish my mommy and daddy were loaded!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Brokenpath
Rookie

Thank you.

I take this thing offroading every other weekend or so and have noticed a couple of problems that set me back.

I'll basically approach a pretty steep hill downward with huge ruts in it and BARELY make it through. (Feels like the truck is going to flip over.)

I've tried the basic wall ride here and there on a wall about or almost 45 degrees (2 tires on the ground and 2 on the hill.) and again, it felt limiting in terms of capabilities. It always feels like i'm barely making it through The suspension is very stiff. I want to be able to bomb those hills no problem and play around in them, and also know that i can make it back UP the hill when i'm down screwing around. I also want to try some light jumping/rock climbing but wont jump the truck now in fear of breaking something. But nothing too serious. (I'll probably say that now and want that later.)

Street manners would be fun too, Basic cornering and the ability to transfer torque to the rear wheels better. Logic tells me though that there isn't a way to do both, but maybe a proper balance.

It's basically gotten to the point where i've realized that a simple spindle lift and gas monotubes are mostly for show, andd are basically just good for clearance and better response and stability on the ground.

I have a 2wd also, so i wanted to go more the pre-runner/ get a good speed going before you try to go up the hill, kind of truck.

My budget is limited simply by time. I can save a solid 5-6 grand pretty quickly though.

Then again, i'm not looking to drop 10k simply into suspension. Maybe 5-7k? What do you think I can do with that much.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Brokenpath
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
He actually had a real nice 4x2 gasser when he was a newbie here. A 4x4 wanna be.

Seriously, you should search back for one of his pics, was one of the nicer lifted 4x2s I've seen along with OE's.

Although I like the current ride a little better. Damn I wish my mommy and daddy were loaded!!!
Thanks, i'll search back and check those. I went through a pretty extensive search on the 2wd suspension but didn't come up with much. I'll search his name now though :-D.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 PM
mmstar23
Champion

Just for the record hammer, i paid for the mega cummins in my driveway...lol

Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Check on Sway-A-Way.

Quick Reply: Offroad Racing Shocks for Dodge?