3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wish me luck - exhaust self install tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010 | 09:03 PM
04HemiGreg
|
Record Breaker
Default Wish me luck - exhaust self install tomorrow

Blocked my work calendar so I can play hookie and install my new cat-back tomorrow. I've given the old connections, which don't look bad at all, a couple of PB blaster pre-treatments in hopes of loosening things up. Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow, I'll have it done with some pix for a DIY and a youtube clip of the sound.

Question - the instructions say the first step is to disconnect the stock muffler from the front headpipe. Should I be able to disconnect and remove everything from that point? In other words, will everything swing back far enough to disconnect the pipes at that point and then remove everything from the hangers or do I need to disconnect everything from the back, working my way forward to the muffler and take things apart that way?

Old 01-18-2010 | 09:25 PM
cordaco
Rookie

I worked my way front.

Old 01-18-2010 | 09:26 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Do it the way the directions say. If you dint start from the front, you won't get the back to move enough.

Old 01-18-2010 | 09:41 PM
mmstar23
Champion

so is this all bolt up? or are you breaking out the MIG?

Old 01-18-2010 | 09:48 PM
04HemiGreg
|
Record Breaker

It's all bolt-on. Hope I don't even have to break out the sawzall. I may make things a little more permanent once I decide how I like it and see how well it all fits as-is.

So, to clarify, I should disconnect as the directions say, between the muffler and the headpipe, but then start from the back and work my way forward to that point? Directions don't mention the other factory components and how to remove. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to just drop it all as one piece as I remove from the hangers...

Old 01-18-2010 | 10:01 PM
2006RAMHEMI1979
Professional

I removed mine in one piece. Removed clamp in front of the muffler and took out of hanger and that was it.

Old 01-19-2010 | 10:32 AM
04HemiGreg
|
Record Breaker

Waiting to find a missing part or something - this is going too well. All but one tail pipe, and the tips, and tightening everything up is done. I'm definitely in the "PB Blaster is the S@#$!" club. Didn't even need an air wrench or a sawzall. I'm taking pix as I go but not sure how well they'll turn out as I don't have the truck jacked up so I can only fit so much in the frame.

Appreciate the advice from everyone. By the way, there was no way the old exhaust was coming out in one piece unless maybe I removed the spare and/or jacked the rear end up a little bit for more wiggle room. But the muffler came off so easily, I just split it into 2 pieces and removed it.

Old 01-19-2010 | 10:38 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

Good deal I am glad it is working well for ya! now lets hear it!! lol

Old 01-19-2010 | 10:41 AM
04HemiGreg
|
Record Breaker

Yeh I can't wait to hear it either. I'm stuck on a conference call for work right now. Should have it all done by lunchtime or so though. But, I am waiting on a firewire cable to be delivered so I can upload video/audio from my camcorder. I just hope it's not so loud that I'll be sleeping in the doghouse tonight. LOL This one isn't supposed to be real loud and I'm sure it's not loud enough for some die hards out there. But "too loud" is relative to the person listening to it and she will give me all kinds of hell if it's obnoxiously loud and I don't really want that either.

Last edited by 04HemiGreg; 01-19-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2010 | 10:43 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

HA HA HA if she kicks you out go to the truck and sleep there, just leave it idling in the drive about 20 min she will beg you to come to bed LMAO

Quick Reply: Wish me luck - exhaust self install tomorrow