3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
HEMIPOWERED2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exhaust

I purchased my 06 Ram with a HEMI last year and now think it's time to let it breathe a little easier. I have a 94 Mustang with Flowmasters on it and really like it. I want a aggressive rumble inside and out. A guy I know told me to go with straight pipes but I don't know about that. After researching I think I should go with Flowmaster super 40 or super 44. I hear a lot of talk about resonators. How can I get performance and a deep tone? I don't want to lose any power. Can anyone give me their opinion?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 PM
mmstar23
Champion

flowmaster and performance dont go together....there are far better companies for the performance aspect, but flowmaster does sound good. you could go with magnaflow or a few other companies that arent really coming to mind right now, but others will chime in. you could always run a performance exhaust thats more quiet, but have cut outs before the muffler which will give you that straight pipe sound....

Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

There are several different options when it comes to exhaust setups, as Im sure you found out when hunting for the 'stang. Same with these Rams. I've always love flowmaster just cause of 'stangs. (I had a 97 gt with Macs, very similar to FM, better performance, cheaper lil fyi)

It all depends on whatcha going after buddy. If ya just want it to sound better, FM won't be a bad choice. I just have what essentially a clamp on 40series, and it sounds awesome for $125 wortha professional shop work (including the muffler). If you are shooting for more performance gains, that will really only happen when coupled with other mods (cai, programmer, etc). You might see a 2-5hp gain over stock with, say, a Magnaflow catback system. If you really want power, ditch the stock Y-pipe, along with the factory catback. Then you're gettin into your wallet a bit, but its gonna be worth it.

Maybe a few more specifics as to what you're lookin for as far as sound/power/etc?

BTW, this ? can yield at least 1,000,000,000,000,000 different opinions. Search around youtube, or even around here, for soundclips, get a slim idea of what each setup can offer.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Let me tell ya............I originally purchased a two-chamber Thrush to replace the stock muffler. Well that lasted about a year and it started sound raspy and really was a little too loud.

I then went with a Magnaflow. I have a Magnaflow Y pipe and a SI/SO muffler dumped. The Magnaflow is probably one of the best mufflers I have heard. It has a nice deep rumble at idle, and sounds mean at WOT.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 AM
MOPAR78
Veteran

Every rides different as well as exhaust set ups, but I had gains with my flows over the factory Borla set up. I'm running true duals with H-pipe. 2 Super 40's SIDO with dual tips in front of both rears. Love the sound and gains.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

^^ good stuff there Hammer, I musta missed that post........

According to that post, I might hafta look into the CB Vortex. I eventually plan on running a dual setup of some sort, and I like it LOUD, but not that raspy doo-doo sounding loud. I always assumed this was correlated with glasspacks....

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
HEMIPOWERED2006

Thanks to everyone who left a post.....I think I will go with Flowmaster, but which muffler should I get for sound........40,44 or 50. A guy at the local muffler shop told me to get the muffler of my choice and he will install duals for me. Anything else I should know before I get it done? I want that deep aggressive tone that Dodge's are famous for. I had a 96' Dodge with duals and never really looked to see what kind it was and the day I traded it in for the 06' it fell off running down the road.

thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Unfortunately, that was probably a Flowmaster system that fell off, lol. They don't call'em Rustmasters for nothing. But, IIRC, FM has a stainless muffler out now, so maybe check into that?

To answer your question, I personally like the 40series myself. It's deep and aggressive, but it does have a lotta "drone" in the cab..... fine with me, lol. Good luck with w/e you decide to go with..

Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope you have a tuner to turn off the MDS or it will sound like a semi with no mufflers using the jake brake!!!

Quick Reply: Help with exhaust